A few questions about warranty and bootloaders..

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Nissan_350Z, May 26, 2010.

1. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

I have the normal warranty and it's still under warranty until December 12th.. I recently put windows XP back on..using a USB flash drive.. and it messed up the bootloader for EVERYTHING. my recovery partition.. my windows 7 and now.. to make it worse.. it wont boot to anything but XP.. and that's only if i have the USB flash drive in.. i really dont want to lose my windows 7 partition.. as it has EVERYTHING on it.. (EDIT: i messed around with XP registry settings to let me use the recovery deal it has on the ISO i made from my XP disc.. so now it will boot XP and nothing else..(i kept getting Hall.dll errors so i had to basically remove the boot.ini and rewrite one myself..)) so i'm wondering.. i have the ISO for windows 7.. which will boot from my USB.. but how can i get it to boot windows 7 and XP? i really dont want to push my luck any farther.. so i'll ask you guys. :D and a questiopn about the warranty.. anyone know if you can get the recovery discs for the AO751h if it's still under warranty? i mean for free and not paying 20 dollars for it.. and.. if i can go about it.. how would i get the bootloader for my PQSERVICE to work again? it comes up with a Boot\BCD\ error.. when i hit Alt + F10 at startup.. sorry for all of the questions.. to sum it up it's all:

1. how can i make win dows 7 and XP boot friendly without messing anything up any farther?
    2. while i'm at it with the windows 7 recovery ISO.. how could i fix my PQSERVICE partition for recovery?
    3. am i able to get my recovery discs under warranty for free?

thanks!! and i really appreciate it. :D

Nissan_350Z, May 26, 2010
  2. Nissan_350Z

Indie

Indie, May 29, 2010
  3. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

thanks! and now that i have easy BCD (i installed windows 7 on another partition just so i could use it temporarily and that the windows 7 bootloader would take over) i'm trying to add my operating systems to the list.. and EasyBCD claims they're added and they show up on the BCDedit, but at the bootscreen, it shows just Windows 7 and an option for Earlier versions of Windows (which does nothing but take me to a blank screen) i'm really wondering if the WinToFlash installation didn't mess up every bootloader on it.. i mean for it to even affect the recovery partition.. it's horrible. but hopefully i'll get it all sorted.. if you have any other ideas please let me know!! and thanks i do appreciate it. :D

so far..
    1 isnt solved.. i can only get windows 7 (temporary installation) to load up and actually work properly with a bootloader.. it seemed as if easyBCD didn't like windows XP
    2 isnt solved.. i cant even get to the recovery bootloader. it just takes me straight to the windows 7 bootloader to only load up windows 7

3 is solved.. they said no that software warranty only lasts 90 days. so that's out of the question.

though i promised myself i'd never say this.. but i'm in one heck of a pickle now.

Nissan_350Z, May 29, 2010
  4. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

actually.. (messing with easyBCD for like..4 hours now..) i found out how to fix that.. i found a way to fix that.. see.. i was looking around all the options.. and i found one (i kept passing up coz it didn't look important at all) and it let me change the drives.. of the menu options i put in there.. and the reason it never let me boot anything but the temporary windows 7 was because every single option i put on there.. was all set to boot from the C: drive (which is my new windows partition) i'll update once i get it all fixed.. i think i'm on to something though!
    just thought i'd post this before anyone went out looking too hard.. coz google never told me anything.. but.. will update soon!

EDIT:
    Okay.. I added them and they're letting me select them.
    Windows 7 (temporary) boots properly
    Windows 7 (main installation) boots properly (something really messed this up.. when i start it it says its not genuine and when loading my profile it just says preparing your desktop.. maybe disabling that system restore wasnt the best idea eh? looks like i'm looking towards reinstalling windows 7..)
    Windows XP does not. I select the option and it just takes it to a blank screen.
    my recovery partition says:
    File: \Windows\system32\hal.dll
    Info: Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing, or corrupt.

is there any way i could copy the HAL.dll file to the recovery partition from one of the windows 7 installations? or is it a special HAL file.. coz it's a recovery partition and has to load differently? or maybe if someone could get to their recovery partition and copy the HAL.dll file over and i could use that possibly?

thanks! atleast i'm one step farther. :D

Nissan_350Z, May 29, 2010
  5. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

it seems i have stumped some people.. so im just going to get the bootloader working again through EasyBCD and editing the bootl.ini in the windows XP partition.. but.. is there anywhere i could find an ISO or image of the partition for this? i have a feeling i need to totally redo the recovery partition by recovering some important boot files.. thanks!

Nissan_350Z, Jun 5, 2010
  6. Nissan_350Z

Indie

I can try making a recovery iso for you, It will take some time though.

Indie, Jun 5, 2010
  7. Nissan_350Z

Nissan_350Z

okay.. i'd appreciate it.. more than you know!! thanks :D

Nissan_350Z, Jun 5, 2010
  8. Nissan_350Z

Indie

Alright sure, sorry for responding so late. I will make one as soon as I can.

Indie, May 12, 2011
  9. Nissan_350Z

AcerSpace

Talking about warranties is one of my pet peeves. There have been a number of instances in which I felt my warranty was in effect, but I was told otherwise by a computing company (including Acer). When the included software you install on the computer I buy obviously corrupt some of my personal and business information I expect a little bit more cooperation and kindness. That is my rant for the day, this thread just makes me think back to all of the times I have had to run disaster recovery in the past. Thankfully I was able to find an inbox repair tool, otherwise there would be some pretty sensitive data floating around.

AcerSpace, May 18, 2011
Ask a Question