A few dumb questions before buying!

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by saral, Aug 9, 2008.

1. saral

saral

Hi, I've been reading about the Aspire One for ages and today I finally saw one in the flesh and now have to have.

I have a couple of dumb questions before I buy.

1) I have wireless broadband with WPA2 security, when connecting to the internet will it just ask me to put the code in? I'm only thinking this as when I set up wireless on the PC I had to load 2 CDs for the Router and the USB dongle thingy! and of course there is no CD drive on the AAO.

2) I have only used Windows before, will I be able to pick up Linux, I am only wanting to surf the internet, access emails and word docs, not planning on doing any major alterations to the machine!

3) I have decided on the 8gb SSD with 512MB, would this be OK for what I am planning on using it for.

Finally I just have to decide where to buy! DABS or AcerDirect....who would you use, both say the model is in stock but if anyone knows differently...

Any advice is much appreciated.

saral, Aug 9, 2008
  2. saral

ruckus

I can't speak from experience of this specific device, however, from tons of other experience I can tell you the 512 mb of ram is perfectly acceptable for what the Linux version of this laptop was designed to do. This linux distro will boot up and not use very much ram compared to most bloated operating systems these days leaving you plenty for surfing the web, checking email, and writing documents.

A lot of people max out the ram on this machine because A: it's cheap and not too hard to do, and B: for sake of maxing out the ram.

ruckus, Aug 9, 2008
  3. saral

saral

Thanks for that, now just need the Wireless bit clarifying

saral, Aug 9, 2008
  4. saral

unkn0vvn_al

okay I have the acer one but I have the Windows Xp version of it.(i will be installing linux later on it, still deciding as to which one)

You were asking to where to buy, I think that depends on where you are located
    .. if you said you are a windows user, why pick the linux version?(I am just wondering) for an additional $20 you can get the Windows XP and it comes with the 120gb HD and 1gb RAM.

If you are in the US then I recommend CDW or Microcenter.com.

Regarding the wireless stuff.. as I said I have the windows xp edition and it shows that it supports WPA2 so I would think that linux will support that too.

I hope this gives you an insight of the netbook.

I really recommend it, its a great device...

now... i really need to get used with the keyboard... lol

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 9, 2008
  5. saral

SNOboy

HI
    you should be able to just click on the wireless and it should ask for your wpa2 key, things that make wifi alittle quicker are to put in the router's ip address under gateway and dns server ip from isp hope this helps SNO

SNOboy, Aug 9, 2008
  6. saral

niem102

I could see any Windows user wanting the Linux version for the fast start-up and the light OS, and if only using it for such basic use as internet, the Linux version seems much better and faster. Though I'm also going for the XP version and getting a double boot with some version of Linux.

niem102, Aug 9, 2008
  7. saral

saral

Thanks, sorry should have said I'm in the UK, over here the difference between Linux and XP is about $120 thats why I was edging towards the Linux!

I didnt even begin to think Linux didnt support WPA2, can anyone confirm that it does?

saral, Aug 9, 2008
  8. saral

unkn0vvn_al

I agree with you I think linux is nicer for this kinds of netbook but as I said, I only base my decision from the price... you get all the additional upgrades for 20 bucks, I think that its all worth it even though windows is installed on it...

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 9, 2008
  9. saral

unkn0vvn_al

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 9, 2008
  10. saral

saral

Thanks, I had just found the same article and was reading it.

saral, Aug 9, 2008
  11. saral

niem102

OK that makes more sense then lol. Over in the UK though it's about $120 more though so it may not be worth it. And for basic use you may not need 120GB anyways...or more than 512MB of RAM for that matter. Or you can always upgrade the RAM yourself. Again, though, I'm right there with you in getting the 120GB HDD plus 1GB of RAM since it's only $20 more in the US, and I may use it for a little more than just internet. We'll see though.

niem102, Aug 10, 2008
  12. saral

Sid

WPA2 Personal is supported (option exists in the connection manager).

Memory will be fine, upgrading is not that hard and the extra 1gig is less than £15.

Most people can learn Linux, but for what you want the One to do, you will not need much in the way of Linux skills.
    Most questions are answered on this forum :D

Try walking into PC World (or currys) and ask for a price match, I know one guy who got the play.com £220 price instead of £245.
    The 1 gig of ram is specified in my sig' (£15 is a web price for PCW, they will match that price in store, if you ask)

No I don't work for them.

Sid, Aug 10, 2008
  13. saral

hmraao

There are no dumb questions: some questions are just easier to answer than others;)

A1. "WPA and WPA2 Personal" is offered as an option, when you setup a new wireless connection using the in-built wifi adapter. No dongle, no dongle drivers required. In fact, router management software may not even be needed, as most modern routers can be managed through a built-in web interface. All you need is the address (e.g. http://bthomehub.home) and a web browser.

A2. The user interfaces of the web surfing, emailing, and doc writing applications provided with the AAO's Linpus Linux should be immediately recognisable to anyone who has used their M$ counterparts. Obviously the underlying Linpus Linux will be less familiar, although (with the exception of printing) I have yet to come across an issue that wasn't readily explained with a quick google. (Actually, this site provides many of the hits.)

A3. 8GB should be plenty, unless you plan on downloading a heap of audio-visual content, as should 512MB, unless you plan to use a pile of applications all together, which would be a challenge given the limited AAO's screen realestate. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the AAO, it's just that as an ultra-portable-netbook, "it does exactly what it says on the tin.")

A4. Where to buy is probably the hardest question to answer. The short answer at the moment would have to be "from whoever has one in stock." Bear in mind, though, that DABS don't operate any phone lines whatsoever, either for ordering or support, and that orders over £17.99 from Play.com may attract additional duty if HMRC care to inspect the package as it enters the UK. You should also be aware that traders who include Acer in their name are just that: traders. I got mine from PCWorld online. Nuff said.

hmraao, Aug 10, 2008
  14. saral

lala

If your gonna use it for the basics then it doesnt matter im now leanin towards the linux version and people gotta also remeber there an expansion slot also u can get an sd card and save stuff on it so it shouldnt be that bad

lala, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question