A cheaper i3 versus expensive i7

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Corzhens, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

My husband is looking at a laptop with the cost as the main consideration. He is now eyeing the i3 with a tag price of 34k versus an i7 with a tag price of 52k. They are of the same brand and size - HP, 15 inches. Since the price difference is big, we are inclined to get the i3. However, we don't have much understanding with the processor now but surely the i3 looks to be on its way out. What if it becomes obsolete in a year or two? That is the question.

Corzhens, Jun 12, 2016
  2. Corzhens

SirJoe

It really comes down too what you are going to do with your computer and if it's worth while using the extra money. The i7's performance will be much better then the i3's and it's usable life span will be greater than that of the i3´s, but at the same time the difference in price is still considerable. If you buy the i3 the money that you save now can go to buying a new computer 2 or 3 years from now, at the same time if you need performance, you can't escape the fact that the i7 is the better choice.

SirJoe, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Corzhens

IcyBC

I have the i5 with my two years old HP laptop, which is now unusable! I remembered notice a big different from the i3 with the other one. The performance is so much better indeed. The price different is a big problem. Maybe he can come to the decision and go for i5, something in middle instead.

IcyBC, Jun 15, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Vash

It really depends on what you do with the laptop. If the most frequently used programs are just Office and browsers, then you won't see any difference between i3 and i7. More RAM and a SSD will make more difference, If the programs you use are resource demanding, then an i7 will probably serve you better.

As you have said, the cost is a main concern. So I believe you'd be more happy with an i3. The bottom line is, any of the laptop out there are good enough for basic uses. Get what you need instead of what you want should be the way to do things.

Vash, Jun 19, 2016
Ask a Question