A black screen of Acer Aspire E1-571 :)

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by OhMy, Jan 6, 2019.

1. OhMy

OhMy

Hi to everyone!
    About me: just a regular computer user with no "deep" knowledge about the inner workings of PCs, but so far managed to do all the repairs/installs by myself. So far...

I've been searching and reading a lot about similar problems, but not exactly the same as mine. The reasons for that or solutions seem to be not explained, not existent or just too many, that I'm unable to see the correct one. HDD, USB, RAM, BIOS, cables, viruses, bad capacitors or the stars in the sky are blamed for these long boots...

I have a laptop Acer Aspire E1-571. Can't figure out, what's happening to it. When switched on, only the power button lights up and the HDD LED blinks, and fan seems to spin, the screen remains completely black. That continues for about 3 to 30 minutes, until the F2 and F12 options appear for a blink, after which the Windows 7 loads fairly quickly and function as it should.
    This situation started some months ago, but probably was inconsistent at the beginning, now it's "a must". I did a format for C: and reinstalled Win 7 and the drivers for the hardware, but no effect. Even tried two of the startup time measurers, but they did not see the long black delay at the start, all they saw, was 26-30 seconds of boot time- GREAT! Teared the laptop apart (pain in the ***) and took out the CMOS battery, but it was OK- 3.2 volts, so put it back.
    There has not been any hardware changes made. The RAM and HDD show no errors, the DVD drive works fine too. So I suspect a corrupted BIOS, but am unable to find a way to flash it- can't find a better or even the same version of it, and, shamefully, am a bit afraid to mess things up by truing just to see, if one or the other would work...

Any thoughts, please, good people?

Thank you.

P.S. Had this same question on another forum, where one member suggested that the video cable was to blame. Hmm, maybe... But there is no flickering or video defects on the screen, when computer finally boots up.

OhMy, Jan 6, 2019
  2. OhMy

Ian Administrator

That is a very odd problem - I don't think it's the video cable though.

A BIOS re-flash is certainly worthwhile, but I'd also consider getting in contact with Acer support to see if they can advise further - it could be a known issue and they may be able to assist (even if it's out of warranty, they may stil advise).

Does the same thing happen if you restart from within Windows, or is it only from a cold boot?

Ian, Jan 8, 2019
  3. OhMy

OhMy

Yes, the same thing happens regardless of cold or warm boot.
    I'll give a try at contacting Acer, though there is no warranty now.

Unfortunately I still have to find one major company, which would at least consider answering an email without politely sending me (as a simple end user) to hell... :)

OhMy, Jan 8, 2019
  4. OhMy

Admajic

Try a new hard disk as well. Slow boot time sounds like it's finished

Admajic, Feb 14, 2019
Ask a Question