A 3G modem in Acer One

Discussion in 'Networking' started by axibon, Jul 24, 2008.

1. axibon

axibon

I read a review which had a text which was telling about a 3g modem feature in One:

"Where the One gets one over the Eee PC 901, however, is with its optional 3G/HSDPA adaptor. Behind the battery pack, there's a SIM card slot into which you can plug your 3G SIM for go-anywhere Internet access."

So what does this actually mean? There is a SIM card slot behind the battery pack but didn't dare to stick my card in because there seemed to be no way to eject the card out of the slot.

Does One have a built-in 3G modem. I do have a SIM with 3G-operation and would much like to use it with my One.

axibon, Jul 24, 2008
  2. axibon

Darren198712

I don't think the one will work with the 3G card. there is nothing behind the sim slot when people opened it to change my ram. I really want the 3G network too but I am going to have to see now.

Darren198712, Jul 24, 2008
  3. axibon

ronmexico

Future ONE's will have the card option however current ONE's with linux 8gb SSD have no cabling in the slot to add the 3G modem so future upgrades will require some work if you want the 3G modem option wait.

ronmexico, Jul 24, 2008
  4. axibon

Rautiaij

Is it possible to use a mobile device as modem (Nokia) with A1 on Linpus, or do I have to install Windows XP and use Nokia's PC Suite? How about Huawei E169 modem, same problem there, or does it work with Linpus?

Rautiaij, Jul 25, 2008
  5. axibon

Guest Guest

I have an Huawei E169 modem working fine.
    If you start the computer with the modem pluged in a USB port, you'll get these in /dev:
    ttyUSB0
    ttyUSB1
    ttyUSB2
    this means the kernel aleready has the necessary modules do deal with it (option I think).
    All yuo need is the ppp chat scripts...
    I'm using this scripts in Portugal and it's working fine:
    http://sites.google.com/site/kanguru169one/

I suppose you can use them with other operators also - changing a few parameters (like APN, dial number, and remove PIN from SIM card)

Its a pity I can't buy the standard acer 3g module later and install it myself inside the computer...

Guest, Jul 25, 2008
  6. axibon

ronmexico

Ya sucks how early adopters are punished for buying early another stroke against acer in my book

ronmexico, Jul 25, 2008
  7. axibon

rory

rory, Jul 30, 2008
  8. axibon

ronmexico

This is our point there is no slot on the mobo to connect this card Acer left it out

ronmexico, Aug 2, 2008
  9. axibon

moolwadowns

This looks neat - but what did you do with the mobile phone companies SIM card ? The place at the back of presently built Acer Ones will not accept a SIM ? :cry:

moolwadowns, Aug 12, 2008
  10. axibon

thepyawkt

mikexilva:

I live in Thailand, and have a Nokia 6300 with GPRS/EDGE/3G service. I have been using this with my Mac PowerBook for years - I plugged it in via a USB cable, created a new connection, chose modem, plugged in the dial codes, given to me by my provider, selected the Nokia Ir protocol, and everything has worked great.

Two months ago, I bought my daughter an Eee (Linux OS), and did the same with it - worked no problem!

I am really new to Linux, so I am sorry if I seem a little stupid, but....

I have been DESPERATELY trying to get the same to happen for my AAO, which I purchased just a few days ago - so far your post is the only thing I can find that is in the same ballpark as what I'm trying to do.

I activated the advanced desktop mode, allowing me to get the Xfce menu when I right-click. Then, as per someone's suggestion, I went to the Add/Remove Software manager and added gnome-ppp, and Network Device Control manager. They are both now accessible from the Xfce munu.

When I go to the Network Device Manager, and try to create a connection, with the phone plugged into the USB port, it does not seem to recognize it. I chose to create a new connection, and selected modem modem connection. I then get an alert message that there is no modem found on my system - it is like it is not checking the USB ports.

I click ok, and am then faced with a select modem box, asking for the address of the device, baud rate, flow control setting, etc. Can I plug the address for the USB modem in manually? If so, what do I put in?

You seem to be the first person I have met who seems to know a possible solution. Any help or advice would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks!

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 13, 2008
  11. axibon

egesia

mikexilva:

I activated the advanced desktop mode, allowing me to get the Xfce menu when I right-click. Then, as per someone's suggestion, I went to the Add/Remove Software manager and added gnome-ppp, and Network Device Control manager. They are both now accessible from the Xfce munu.

~R.[/quote]

Connect your usb cable to the phone, turn on your aspire, open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    wvdialconf
    it should check your usb ports and create a wvdial.conf if the phone is recognized. What output do you have after the command?

egesia, Aug 13, 2008
  12. axibon

Rofa

Oh dear - I am very much a newbie here - picked up my machine today - used a Mac for the last ten years (and still will do).

How do I check /dev: ? I've managed to get the right click working to show all options. I would have expected to be there when I turned it on for goodness sake!!!!!
    And if someone could tell me how to put in the scripts I would be grateful - idiots guide if it is not too much trouble please!!! :D

Rofa, Aug 19, 2008
  13. axibon

OneHead

I'm trying to do something similar using a Motorola V3x connected with a USB cable (in the V3x's settings, change the USB connection to Data first!). I think the problem may be that the ACM module is not present in the kernel. I tried using wvdialconf on a laptop running XUbuntu 8.04 and it worked fine with the V3x, it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0 and, after running wvdialconf, I edited /etc/wvdial.conf to change "Phone = *99#" and added the username & password for the provider.

Does anyone know if Linpus Lite has ACM support compiled in (or loadable as a module?)
    http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x332.html

OneHead, Aug 23, 2008
  14. axibon

Rofa

Didn't work for me - but I ran wvdial and it stored the settings for ttyUSB0 and the E169 connected after a couple of attempts using the gnome dialler. But there is no data transmission - no Firefox etc. - so anyone know what is happening - Firefox seems to think it is not in fact connected

Rofa, Sep 21, 2008
  15. axibon

Rofa

Well it is now working. Only thing I did was change the type of dialling from pulse to tone and set the DNS manually (from wvdial) in gnome dialler. I also have to positively set Firefox to WORK ONLINE. Which one or more of these actions actually did the trick I do not know - when I have more confidence with everything I shall not doubt try to find out. Maybe someone would like to comment.

Rofa, Sep 21, 2008
Ask a Question