8 GB or 16 GB RAM

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by umair, Aug 18, 2016.

1. umair

umair

Hello Everyone, I decided to buy " Acer Asprire E15 laptop Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD"

This laptop supports 32 GB RAM and have two slots for RAM sticks, I want to insert a 16 GB Ram in it. Is it a good idea to have one RAM stick of 8 GB and one is 16 GB? I use this laptop for Photoshop and graphic design.

Thanks for watching this thread.

umair, Aug 18, 2016
  2. umair

something back

Just purchase the 8gb ram 16gb should be enough to run what you are saying you need it for.

something back, Aug 19, 2016
  3. umair

Elektron

Well, I personally think that if you really can afford the 16 GB RAM, then you probably should buy it, it's okay, but if you do not have the money and you do not really need that much RAM you can just work with your default RAM, which is quite good and more than enough, in my opinion, however, you can do whatever you please, both RAMs are fine, but the 16 GB one is way better of course.

Elektron, Aug 21, 2016
    umair and Corzhens like this.
  4. umair

rz3300

Well I would have to say to go with the more RAM, right? Although I guess if all you need is 8GB then you should be fine, and maybe that will save you a little money. I am not sure, though, and so I would also say do some research and find out if it is bad to have both of them in at the same time. I hope that you find your answer. Thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 21, 2016
    umair likes this.
  5. umair

Corzhens

I agree with the money angle. Since you are on graphics, a large memory would be of great help. But if you are a professional with the graphics thing then maybe it is better to stick with your installed 8GB and just buy a graphics card so your graphics operation will be faster. From what I know, the graphics card is best for graphic operations like Photoshop and Corel draw, software that eat a lot of memory in processing.

Corzhens, Aug 21, 2016
    umair likes this.
  6. umair

Elektron

I highly agree with you when talking about the graphics card, you definitely should save up some money to buy the graphics card, it would become a great combination when mixing it with the 8 GB of RAM that you currently have, it's already said, do not buy something you do not really need, buy the most relevant things and enhance your system completely, good luck.

Elektron, Aug 22, 2016
    umair and Corzhens like this.
  7. umair

Aree Wongwanlee

I have done some video editing before so I have done some reading up on the ram needed. Apparently, the more the better. Reason being that, with more ram, you can keep more of your ongoing work in memory instead of swapping back and forth with the hard drive which will slow things down. Also get matching ram. Since you haven't bought the laptop yet, assuming that you can afford the extra ram, ask the shop to swap out the the existing ram and put in two pieces of 16Gb. Also make sure that they are the same speed and from the same manufacturer. Long ago, I have had problems with mixed ram sticks of different speeds from different manufacturers. Maybe this isn't a problem now but, if you can, keep to the same speed and the same manufacturer for both ram sticks. Same size, too.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 22, 2016
    umair likes this.
  8. umair

Vash

If the budget is not an issue, then go for the 16GB. Otherwise, 8GB should be sufficient enough for most of the things you do unless you use real memory demanding programs or you are used to multi-tasking with multiple memory intense programs.

To make it more clearly, you do not really need more than 8GB RAM unless you have programs require more RAM. Just get what you need. "Future proof" is only needed if you know you will use this laptop for more than 3~5 years. After just a few years, I bet the price of 16GB or 32GB RAM laptops will be the same or cheaper than what you pay for 8GB today.

Vash, Aug 22, 2016
    umair likes this.
  9. umair

SirJoe

I think you should read the your motherboards manual. There are certain motherboards that function better if they have the same ram type in the two slots. It's always to use the following numbers when it comes to ram 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128... but if you have 24Gb worth of ram your computer will still work.

SirJoe, Aug 26, 2016
    umair likes this.
Ask a Question