[8.04] Boot 14 sec with custom kernel | Model ZG5, 8GB SSD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by harry, Aug 12, 2008.

1. harry

Ozzie

I just read that the bootsplash is supposed to be messy so i turned it off.
    Still have a lot of reading to to about compiling kernels i suppose :)

Ozzie, Aug 25, 2008
  2. harry

tomo88

I just finished installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 after about an overnight wait for it to copy over from the USB drive and I really like the user interface and the relatively less resources used than windows (i think?). I'm a very new user of linux (my only experience is with Linpus Lite for about a day before I tried formatting it and putting XP on, which was to no avail) so I'm just wondering are these instructions something I could understand? Or are these easier script packages or instructions were I can learn to do this? The boot time took me about 2 minutes after I reset from the LiveUSB installation and I really like having it turn on and off like that with Linpus because I use it for Uni with notetaking and such. Just wondering if it was easier than it looks... or is actually just as hard, if not harder. Thanks!

tomo88, Aug 26, 2008
  3. harry

gulassi

Webcam driver is included in kernel version 2.6.26.3. It can be found under Multimedia Devices -> Video Capture Adapters -> V4L USB Devices -> USB Video Class (UVC)

gulassi, Aug 26, 2008
  4. harry

basko

Thank you, I'll try it this weekend.

basko, Aug 27, 2008
  5. harry

Ozzie

I tried this config and it did compile. If i boot it it stops booting at "* Starting kernel log daemon" or something like that. If i switch to console and startx manually it works but it gives an HAL error as a popup in gnome. I used the latest source (2.6.26.3)

Edit:
    I haven't tested yet what does work and what doesn't. But i know that sound didn't worked at all.
    I don't have my One with me now since i'm at work.

Maybe someone could update the guide with the latest kernel.

Ozzie, Aug 27, 2008
  6. harry

Ar4miS

Anyone tried kernelcheck ?

Ar4miS, Aug 28, 2008
  7. harry

Ozzie

Kernelcheck does excactly the same as typing the commands manually, so I didn't bother trying it.

Ozzie, Aug 28, 2008
  8. harry

gouki

I've been messing around with this also. Like Ozzie said, using the config file from the DVD the kernel hangs at "Starting Kernel log daemon". I tried both the latest version and 2.6.23.9.

I'll be working on new deb packages based on information from the Gentoo Wiki:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Acer_Aspire_One_ ... nel_config

If anyone is interested, we are discussing this on IRC - #onelinux

gouki, Aug 30, 2008
  9. harry

Syco54645

make oldconfig worked for me except again hung at starting klogd. we need to enable the tempfs for the /var that we have set in fstab, me thinks.

Syco54645, Aug 31, 2008
  10. harry

gouki

Yes, having TEMPFS working is a must have. May not be that important for the people with a HDD but on a SDD is definitely important.

gouki, Aug 31, 2008
  11. harry

2manydjs

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=930&start=10

For kernel customization, it might be interested to see what Acer has changed for Linpus.

2manydjs, Sep 1, 2008
  12. harry

Syco54645

i have tracked the error down to klogd hanging upon startup. tmpfs is listed in /proc/filesystems, so that was not the problem like i thought it was.

Syco54645, Sep 1, 2008
  13. harry

mikespug

The bootsplash screen being inoperable with the recompiled kernel could be a result of the following line in the configuration:

# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set

Here is an excerpt from bootsplash.org regarding the setting:

"To use the Linux bootsplash screen, you have to recompile your kernel. The bootsplash patch is available for 2.4.18-2.4.22 and 2.6.0-test9. The patches should also apply to newer versions of the Linux kernel....You need to have a working framebuffer device with 16bit colordepth, preferably vesafb (i.e. vga=0x317 for 1024x768) "

If anyone's feeling up to it recompile with this setting enabled and check it out. If I get a chance later this evening I'll do the same.

mikespug, Sep 1, 2008
  14. harry

teewee

Hi there,

Petaramesh has just released his new custom kernel 2.6.27 and he said evertyhing works fine !
    http://petaramesh.org/post/2008/09/01/N ... Aspire-One

Maybe you guys should take a look at is config file ? http://petaramesh.org/public/arc/projec ... 27-a1sp008

It's in french, so here is a fast (and bad) translation:

* Light kernel w/o unnecessary thing for AAO
    * optimized for AAO
    * Boot faster than regular ubuntu kernel for same configuration
    * Static compilation as widely as possible to avoid loading modules ; it should be possible to boot w/o using initramfs fo a faster boot (but he didn't test it :) )
    * WiFi support included without external driver, but with ath5k module, no more MadWifi
    * Jmb38x_ms driver included for SD card reader ; should be able to support memorystick as well
    * ALSA support included, sound is supposed to work fine
    * uvcvideo module included, webcam is working
    * Everything working fine (at least on his own AAO) exepted for WiFi leds, but he can't guaranted anything for ours AAO

++
    TeeWee

teewee, Sep 2, 2008
  15. harry

Syco54645

I have just finished configuring the kernel for oneLinux and it is working well. Wifi drivers are still not included (using madwifi for now). Sound works fine and is as loud as it was when I had linpus installed. The kernel images will be out soon I hope. It boots in about the same time that linpus did (it had better too, it is the config from linpus moved over to the ubuntu kernel). It will include bluetooth via a module because this is the most likely thing that users will add to their one, either internal or external. And i just noticed that the webcam isnt working. Well that can wait another day i suppose.

Syco54645, Sep 2, 2008
  16. harry

mfresh

Would this work on a 120GB HD model or only onthe 8GB SSD?

mfresh, Sep 2, 2008
  17. harry

Syco54645

would work on either.

Syco54645, Sep 2, 2008
  18. harry

basko

I just installed the debs and wireless seems to work fine. I've no sd card lying around, and I haven't tested sound yet. I'll report back when I know more.

basko, Sep 2, 2008
  19. harry

picasso

I tried the debs, wireless worked not out of the box. Maybe i have to add the module to /etc/modules? Sound was ok.

picasso, Sep 2, 2008
  20. harry

teewee

About Petaramesh' kernel, here is my report :

Boot speed : wahh ! 33 secondes from Grub display to usable gnome desktop ! Not bad :)
    WiFi : Except the issue with leds, works fine, i think connection is faster than with madwifi driver
    WebCam : Work fine, lots of fun with cheese ^^
    SD Extension slot : Work fine, even if Gnome isn't able to display it on Desktop if you boot with the card in ! As i auto mount my SDHC card on boot, this is not a big issue for me. However, you could remove / replace it and it will be shown on Desktop
    SD Card multiformat reader : Work 50% :-( If you don't boot with a in card plugged, you have to unload / load pciehp (sudo rmmod pciehp / sudo modprobe pciehp) to activate the device. Big issue is when you suspend / resume your AAO, if you removed your SD card during suspend, there is no way to get it back :( Still, MemoryStick didn't work in my case :-(
    Sound : Work fine, even if you still have to choice betwenn "Working headphone" or "Working interne mic" :)

So : great kernel, still so (very few) issue, but it still better than stock kernel :)

++
    TeeWee

teewee, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question