751h - stable or not? (poll)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by spring3, Jan 9, 2010.

1. spring3

spring3

I'm in the search for a new netbook and I was about ready to place an order for the 751h when I ran into the vast number of posts about it freezing. I don't need no freezing netbook. Still, I wanna have an objective idea of the situation - just what percentage of them are bad. are there few or many of them defective?
    I was hoping that I could create a poll here but it doesn't seem that this feature is available. I really wanna know the story though and I've created an online poll specifically for this forum which will start now and made a new topic for it so that it would be neutral:
    http://www.createfreepolls.com/vote/How ... _behave%3F
    If the admins would be kind enough to create a poll here that would be even better, probably more reliable.

spring3, Jan 9, 2010
  2. spring3

Bramster

I never get any freezes

Bramster, Jan 9, 2010
  3. spring3

gsz

completely stable for me after 3 months of every day use. if you can get rid of the pre-installed bloatware and tweak up the system like i did, then it's fast and reliable + it has a number of advantages over other netbooks (11.6 hd screen, full size keyboard and price). i would recommend the system i am running right now to anyone.

gsz, Jan 10, 2010
  4. spring3

Dave

I've had 2, installed W7 on both and neither have had any freezing problems. One was bought with XP / 1GB / 160GB and the other was Vista / 2GB / 250GB.

Dave, Jan 10, 2010
  5. spring3

JamesDax

I've had mine since early December and it has frozen on me perhaps 10 times since then. It's a pain but it hasn't been so bad as to make me regreat my purchase. I've actually have been enjoying this machine very much. I've upgraded to 2GBs of memory and installed Windows 7. I have all the lastest drivers and BIOS and it' plays all the videos I throw at it without a hitch. Even flash HD with the new video drivers. I've also installed WoW on it and I can play the game at lowest settings and 800x600 resolution. I won't be doing any instances or raids on this machine but for some solo quest and for farming it's fine.

Anyway, besides the few freezes everything works just as it should so I happy with it.

JamesDax, Jan 10, 2010
  6. spring3

Pytheas

I had some "freezings" during the first month, but since then it suddenly stopped. Installed some fan controlling utilities but it seems to work ok even without them now (even when I use Google Earth for a long time!). I really don't know what's going on with it, but apart from that I am really pleased with the 751h: Large screen (for a netbook), lightweight, great battery life.

I vote for stable, after the last couple of weeks (I wish it goes on like that!).

Pytheas, Jan 10, 2010
  7. spring3

MaLfUnCtIoN

never had a freeze. mine came with vista but i upgraded to windows 7. not 1freeze in the 2 months i've owned it. i snagged a 250gig/2gig model for 330 plus shipping on ebay (new in box). i dont regret it at all. allows me to do whatever i need to short of gaming (i'm not a gamer anymore anyways). i love this thing. and if you buy now you qualify for the free windows 7 upgrade. i cant say it enough that i'm crazy about this thing!

go for it. its worth every penny in my opinion. my only regret is that it doesnt have an s-video but hey, you cant have everything.

EDIT: seems the price has gone up on the model i bought. the cheapest i found for a 2gig/250gig model was 365 on ebay with 25 bucks shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Aspire-One...iewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item3a567be80d

MaLfUnCtIoN, Jan 10, 2010
  8. spring3

jplatt10

the 751h is very picky about memory. If you do buy one you might factor in trying a few sticks of RAM to the price.

I have 2 of these and after spending about $100 on memory I believe they are stable after all with the right memory.

jplatt10, Jan 12, 2010
  9. spring3

gadzooks64

I have never had a problem with mine.

I only wish I could recommend it to my friends. I can't possibly do that knowing all the problems other people have had with theirs.

gadzooks64, Jan 13, 2010
  10. spring3

Mandal

Multiple freezes. Just received UPS papers today - is shipped for repair on monday.

Mandal, Jan 16, 2010
  11. spring3

bornlibra23

I also have freezes unfortunately. However they seem to be due to fanless design which causes heat built up.
    Thanks
    bornlibra23

bornlibra23, Jan 18, 2010
  12. spring3

Twan013

umm... the 751h is NOT a fanless design...

Anyway, I wish I could determine WHEN mine will freeze.. sometimes it will work for days on end, and sometimes I can't open IE8 without it freezing... I have now officially tried every suggestion there is out there, except for sending it to Acer..

RAM was changed to the Hynix (the one that cmeide said fixed his), updated BIOS, GMA update to the latest, AA1fancontrol..

while changing out the RAM, I noticed that the MB had been replaced..

So here's my solution, a surefire way to ease my frustrations... I'm buying a dell from a friend that refurb's laptops and builds computers.. I don't know how it will solve the freezing problems of the 751h, but I'll be far less tempted to smash it against my bedroom wall...

Twan013, Jan 20, 2010
  13. spring3

Netbroke

My A0751h-1948 160GB/1GB was NOT stable.

It froze within an hour out of the box while installing Office 2007(First freeze). After that, it froze constantly - I was unable to pin point an actual reason for freezing. It would freeze online in Firefox, IE and the worst of all Google Earth which would lock it almost instantly. Sometimes GE would be able to run for a few minutes, sometimes it froze as soon as the "Earth" started to spin in the program. I have found that whatever the temperature sensors read, didn't effect the problem - the only thing is, I can't say how accurate the sensors are but it was well under over heating temp when it froze. I even sat outside on the porch with it for about 45 minutes (Was about 28ºF that day, froze once at the 25 minute mark *Don't remember sensor readings*, restarted, didn't freeze again and I took it in.)

I had tried a 1GB Crucial module and a 512MB Hynix module I had laying around, froze quite a bit on the 512 module and not so much with the crucial one, but I can't say that did a thing either, as it still froze regardless.

I was fed up, and had it returned the very next day as so many others have sent theirs in to no avail.

Netbroke, Jan 21, 2010
  14. spring3

TrackSmart

I had the freezing issue. Sending it in to Acer for repair fixed the issue. Just be warned that it may take 1-3 trips to Acer before they change the motherboard (and hence fix the issue for most people). And they don't pay for shipping unless it's within 30 days of purchase. Also, it takes 2-3 weeks to ship it out and get it back. If you have to send it in twice, that's over a month without your laptop, which blows.

You definitely get a lot for your money on these machines (which I've seen selling for $270 when on sale), but if you can afford it I'd recommend getting one of the newer CULV models for around $400 (which have Intel Core 2 single or dual core processors). The Acer 1410 is a better choice, in my opinion, than the 751. It only costs a little bit more, has a much faster processor, and the 6-cell battery is integrated into the case (rather than sticking out the back in an ugly fashion). I've been happy with my Acer 751 (aside for losing it while it was out for repair), but if the Acer 1410 existed at the time, I would certainly have chosen that model instead.

TrackSmart, Jan 22, 2010
  15. spring3

ttman

its stable if I don't OC it. If I OC over 1.33GHZ it's unpredictable. sometimes it'll run for 2 days, sometimes I'll lock up in 10 seconds.

ttman, Feb 20, 2010
  16. spring3

Indie

Hell to the NO!

Indie, Feb 21, 2010
  17. spring3

aCidcOde

No!

aCidcOde, Feb 22, 2010
  18. spring3

MASTAN

Mine is perfectly stable.

MASTAN, Feb 28, 2010
  19. spring3

edgarlicious

mine is perfectly stable, but only after sending it to Acer in Texas. They replaced my motherboard and so far I haven't had any single freeze. Before sending it to Acer it used to freeze constantly, giving me BSOD, sometimes it wouldn't even turn on, there would appear some stripes on screen and freeze when I was using it, so I had to hard restart, it was a pain in the "gut" to use this little machine.

Now I am completely happy with it, I've been using it for 3 weeks and no freezing issue at all. You should try sending it to Acer to see if they replace your MB, that solved my problem 100%

FYI, it was the very 1st time that I was sent my 751h to Acer.

edgarlicious, Feb 28, 2010
  20. spring3

davidh5551

Mine came with default 1,33ghz clock processor and it's perfectly stable and I can OC to 1,42 with no problems. Can't go any farther than that.

davidh5551, Mar 17, 2010
Ask a Question