70 degrees C running Temperature - Normal ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by simba, Feb 7, 2009.

1. simba

simba

Hi all!

Looking for some insight into how hot the aspire one should be operating at - currently im using Powersaver power mode and temp easily reaches 65-70degrees c - seems excessively hot! - im using windows 7 also.

is this normal guys ?

simba

simba, Feb 7, 2009
  2. simba

corranga

I'm a n00b around and haven't had my AAO too long, but recently installed the aa1fancontrol app, and mine is happily sitting at 51degrees c (i'm just browsing mind) with the fan off. Mine did reach 60, which is what i've set the fan to come on at, earlier, but quickly dropped back down. I'm running XP.

Could it be Win7 being more cpu intensive?

Chris

corranga, Feb 7, 2009
  3. simba

GvidoR

The maximum operating temperature for the Intel Atom processor is 90C.
    If it would reach that temperature, I believe it would stop and when it's cooled you would be able to work with it again.
    I think none of us have experience overheating, so yes, I'd say it's normal.
    I'm running Windows 7 and my temperature is ~35C :D

GvidoR, Feb 7, 2009
  4. simba

simba

thnx for the info guys!

GvidoR hw do u get ~35c! is tht on idle ;)

simba, Feb 8, 2009
  5. simba

carlos_arias1

i believe is not normal, usually they run from 43 to 68 or 70, in a really hot place, for example, if u have ur One in the bed (which i do not recommend) put at least a book on the bottom, air will flow better, also remember if u have it in a hot place, the temp, will rise, just try to leave space on the bottom, i mean, try to keep all open space underneath clear, no bed, no soft things that could actually prevent air flow. u can do an example by using it with the battery and going outside and see if the temp goes down. u can even see the temp. going down just by putting a fan close by, i did the test and the temp, drop 5 degrees, if the temp is going up on a normal use, like word processing try installing the fan control program.

carlos_arias1, Feb 8, 2009
  6. simba

GvidoR

I get ~35C while browsing the web.
    I replaced the thermal pad with thermal paste, now there's a better contact and less heat. I might do another cooling mod someday.

GvidoR, Feb 8, 2009
  7. simba

ncc123

I use fan control on XP. Temperatures are set to ON: 62 degrees, OFF: 57 degrees.

I never hear the fan except for a couple of seconds on boot-up and when the processor is working extremely hard. Having the laptop on a blanket on the bed will increase the heat retention and make the fan run more often.

ncc123, Feb 8, 2009
  8. simba

simba

argh y didnt i think about thermal paste! i was even analysing the pads too. thnx !

simba, Feb 8, 2009
  9. simba

dj_steve

mine sits around 55-60 most time unless iuse it fo video then it increases, i had fan forcedto off once permanently and it automaticly kicks inwentemphits 80 degrees nomatter what soi think its all fine

dj_steve, Feb 8, 2009
  10. simba

kenwshmt

You might want to try rightmarks free cpu utility or cpu idle. it performs 'auto halt' at idle priority, stopping processing when its not in use.

Mine idles at 55, is 65 under load.
    and run it at 800 mhz, or standby when its not being used..

I have a old hot dell, this acer is nothing compared to that.

kenwshmt, Feb 8, 2009
  11. simba

simba

got back to my flat in aberdeen - for those in bridge of don you will know what the snows been like - and the boiler has packed in!!! its -8 C outside!

my aspire one is keeping me toasty warm in bed lol

simba, Feb 9, 2009
  12. simba

jackluo923

I let my AAO run at 80-85 degrees C before the FAN comes on.

When the AAO is idle, the temperature is about 35 degrees C. I've not done any mods. My leave my AAO on a cooling stand (with the fan turned off).
    With the cooling pad fan on, i get about 30 degrees C idle temperature.

jackluo923, Feb 9, 2009
  13. simba

Forone

Most of the A1ctl users report / set a normal fan control range of 50 to 60 - my experience, too. All these measuring gadgets seem to measure different components so are not directly translatable against each other or against Intel's Atom specifications - I'd worry if A1ctl was consistently reading 70 with the fan on.

Forone, Feb 9, 2009
  14. simba

csmo

Yes, I agree. My first AAO had temperatures around 65-70 degrees Celsius in idle state so I returned it and got a full refund no questions asked. It is not healthy for the battery life either if the netbook is hot all the time so the fan needs to cool things down on an ongoing basis. I'd return the machine if I were you and ask for a new one. Somewhere between 30-50 degrees Celsius is probably where you want the temperature to be in idle state at least.

csmo, Feb 13, 2009
Ask a Question