7" EeePC as a second netbook? Size?

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by JimmiG, Jan 7, 2009.

1. JimmiG

JimmiG

Call me crazy, but I've actually been considering a second netbook because I like my AAO so much. How does the original 7" EeePC compare to the 8.9" AAO in terms of size and weight? Would it be easier to carry around or slip into a small bag? The screen would be almost 2" smaller, but looking at photos, it seems the bezel is also wider. I saw a Youtube video where someone balanced the laptop on two fingers, and it looked absolutely tiny compared to the AAO, but it's not entirely easy to judge from a video. Looks like many are selling their first-gen EeePC's online for almost nothing.

JimmiG, Jan 7, 2009
  2. JimmiG

dattaway

Don't do it! I bought my One to replace my eeepc 701!

Its about the same thickness but with a battery bulge, seems to weigh more, gets very hot, keyboard has funny position for a few keys, power on USB ports stay on all the time even when unit is off (big problem!) and the screen resolution is about the same as an embedded device.

Overall, the One is almost an inch wider, but a big improvement over the eeepc. The One seems sleeker and more portable if that makes any sense.

dattaway, Jan 7, 2009
  3. JimmiG

azz2811

dont get an eee pc 701 its just really not worth it i also used to have one and i really didnt like it for all of the problems listed up there ^^

azz2811, Jan 7, 2009
  4. JimmiG

DynaMight

It's not the worse choice for a second notebook with the prices they go for.

Screen resolution is a little low and some websites need to be cross scrolled, keyboard is a little small and its not all that easy to type on. It is lighter and physically smaller than the One.

The Celeron processor is pretty nippy, even at 630Mhz and can be overclocked to upwards of 1Ghz, ram can be upgraded to 2GB extremely easily.

They do have battery drain issues though, loses about 10% a day so best to leave the battery disconnected or plugged in, also the standard battery lasts about 2-3hours but you can get 10400mah ones quite cheap which give 4-5hours but they're pretty big!

The 4GB SSD is quick, much quicker than the 8GB Acers so runs XP very quickly and if its just for basic apps/internet then 4GB is plenty of space, I had a standard XP install with Office 2003, Firefox and a few other little programs with Page file and Hibernation disabled and still had 2GB spare.

DynaMight, Jan 7, 2009
  5. JimmiG

ronaldf

"CRAZY!!!"
    I was very disappointed in the screen size and resultant resolution on my EEEPC 701. I also found the SSD to be too limiting for what I needed. I'm totally pleased with my 1G AAO with the 120G HD. As for me, the size difference between the EEEPC and the AAO is not worth the difference in capabilities. My AAO fit in the same bag that I carried my EEEPC in.

ronaldf, Jan 7, 2009
  6. JimmiG

JimmiG

I guess what I really want is an iPhone or other smartphone, but I can't justify spending so much money to get one :p

I used to be content with browsing the "net" on my cheap GSM cellhphone using WAP, but since getting the AAO I've been spoiled by having a full browser in such a small portable machine..

Now I want something that I can always take with me *everywhere* (the AAO doesn't fit in the pocket) that offers a full web experience...but I don't want to pay more than $250 for it :) Maybe when the next generation of Atom CPUs come out with a system-on-chip design, that will be possible...

JimmiG, Jan 7, 2009
  7. JimmiG

ronaldf

The EEEPC will not fit in a pocket any better than the AAO.

ronaldf, Jan 7, 2009
  8. JimmiG

DynaMight

Sounds like you need one of these: http://openpandora.org/

Should be released Feb/March - I've already got mine pre-ordered. Not sure if theres any left to order though. The price isnt exactly cheap but theres a lot packed in.

DynaMight, Jan 7, 2009
  9. JimmiG

azz2811

that pandora is very nice and i like the fact that it looks a bit like an old retro laptop but without the size som of the specs aldo look very promising

azz2811, Jan 8, 2009
  10. JimmiG

GvidoR

Wow, I found this Asus Eee PC 701 Black w/ 4GB SSD for 143.97 GBP :eek:

GvidoR, Jan 9, 2009
  11. JimmiG

LarimdaME

um, 8gb iPod Touch? $229, surf anywhere with safari and wifi, fits in the pocket. Also plays music, has a bunch of apps, will probably not have as much buyers remorse as getting that EeePC you were looking at. And you were looking at iPhone anyway ...

LarimdaME, Jan 10, 2009
  12. JimmiG

SlCKB0Y

you masochist :)

SlCKB0Y, Jul 2, 2009
Ask a Question