6 month trials of antivirus and antispyware programs

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by something back, May 27, 2013.

1. something back

something back

something back, May 27, 2013
  2. something back

stargazer747

not fond of trials and costly antivirus

I have found along the years that trial version antivirus software in which eventually you will be required to buy it when trial period ends and even pay for new license and version of it each year fail to protect you any more than free editions software.

I am talking about Microsoft Security Essentials (for legit installs of MS Windows any edition), Clamwin, AVG, Avira, Bitdefender, etc. Most can be found online like sourgeforge.net, filehippo.com, etc...

They all do a great job and usually with less of a footprint on your computers resources, symantec and mcafee are resource hogs usually running several services in the background.

stargazer747, Jun 6, 2013
  3. something back

OhioTom76

I much prefer Microsoft Security Essentials. It's in their best interest to not keep notifying you of every little thing the program does, and freaking you out all the time with alerts and update notices. Honestly, I swear the commercial Anti Viruses do that on purpose, just to keep their apps at top of mind, so you feel like they are doing something to protect you at all times. Many of them flag false positives and pop up misleading alerts over stupid stuff like cookies or temporary internet files.

OhioTom76, Feb 27, 2014
  4. something back

Sefie

I already use NOD32, but thanks for sharing that with us, I am sure it will come in handy for someone :) I'm not a big fan of trials, but a 6 months long trial sounds really good. If it wasn't because I already have a really good antivirus I'd probably give this a try. I like the GUI of Norton, NOD32 GUI is more basic and sober, but it does the job. So far I haven't caught a think with NOD32 and I have been using it for years and years!

Sefie, Mar 3, 2014
Ask a Question