6 cell vs. 9 cell battery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jimboj, Dec 20, 2008.

1. jimboj

jimboj

I recently bought a 3 cell AAO with XP. I love it so far, but I need more battery life that the 2 hrs I get now. Searching on ebay, its looks like I can get a 9 cell battery for around $80, and a 6 cell for around $60. I'm not crazy about the extra bulk of the 9 cell. But it's hard to tell by the pics I've seen how much bigger the 9 cell is than the 6 cell. I'm not sure which to buy. If the 6 cell is significanly smaller and gets around 4 hours, I may just go with that. Then again I think I may end up being sorry I didn't get the 9 cell for only $20 more. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what is the consensus on the best place to buy batteries online?

jimboj, Dec 20, 2008
  2. jimboj

sinker442

6 cell weighs 150grams more than the regular battery and raises the rear about a finger

9 cell is 300 grams more and raises the rear 2 fingers

If you just want more juice, get the 9 cell

If you want portability more than juice, like if you move around with it or use it on your knees, get the 6 cell (the extra bulk and weight will probably annoy you)...

sinker442, Dec 21, 2008
  3. jimboj

berkshires

I have a 6-cell and it's big enough and lasts between 4 and 5 hours. The nine cell turns a nice slim, lightweight netbook into a behemoth. Get the 6 cell and keep the 3 cell in your bag if you need more battery time. I'm actually looking for a 3-cell to keep as a backup or when I just need to go light and slim, but everyone charges to much for it.

berkshires, Dec 23, 2008
  4. jimboj

treker

Yes, I was surprised at paying $41 for a new 3cell (from HK) on ebay. I previous ebay standard batteries for Thinkpads were always in the $30-35 range. I guess the AA1 being new can demand the higher premium price. I like the 3 cell because I bought the AA1 for portability. Carrying a second very lightweight 3 cell makes more sense than having just one heavier 6 cell all the time.

treker, Dec 23, 2008
  5. jimboj

Gosefroba

i like the 6 cell in mine but i never used one with a 3 cell and i am also coming off a 17inch notebook. so instead of a 2.2 notebook you will have a 2.4 pound notebook not that much difference!

Gosefroba, Dec 23, 2008
  6. jimboj

janss

I have the 6 cell Acer original battery on my One. Not that much bigger than the original 3 cell, but gives over twice the runtime.

I get 4 - 5.5 hours of runtime with this battery, depending on usage. Usually on school use (wifi + terminal irc + text editor) I get over 5 hours of usage. Personally I think this is the best size-weight-runtime ratio you can get :)

janss, Dec 24, 2008
  7. jimboj

trock

I have both the 6-cell and the 9-cell and get 4.5-6 hrs with the 6-cell depending on usage and 6-7.5 hrs with the 9-cell which isn't that much more for a lot more weight and bulk.

I definitely think either a 3 and a 6 or a 6 and a 6 is a better way to go.

trock, Jan 1, 2009
  8. jimboj

jackluo923

LOL... I get 6-6.5 hours of battery life by just using (4 month old, very frequently used) 6 cell 5200mah battery.
    Compared to 3cell battery, the 6cell battery last up to 3-3.5 times longer, at least in my case.

jackluo923, Jan 3, 2009
  9. jimboj

mercado79

would you mind sharing where you ordered your 6-cell from? i'd definitely prefer it (assuming it's smaller than the 9-cells that have been selling lately.

mercado79, Jan 4, 2009
  10. jimboj

info

I have noticed that the 6 cell that came with the Acer is very good as well (mine came with the computer purchased at Amazon, don't know if it is the same as the ones sold by them). The one currently being sold by Acer directly is $129. That sounds like it would work out to about two of the ones available on sites such as eBay (not really sure about the price of the 6 cells), but I don't know if the one sold at Acer is really the way to go or not. I've hear a lot about some of these batteries not lasting too long at all.

info, Jan 4, 2009
  11. jimboj

radu

I have the 6 cell battery that came with it, and I get about 5+ hours of battery life with Fedora XFCE (and some power saving customizations).
    With Linpus I think I'd get close to 7 hours.

Anyway, that battery is very nice, because you can grab the laptop by the battery, and it's not too bulky IMO. But I think the 9 cell battery has its uses too, especially if you travel a lot.

radu, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question