3G wireless router & Linux - will it work?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zzbot, Jan 28, 2009.

1. zzbot

zzbot

I want to get mobile broadband on my Linux Aspire One. I already have a 3 Mobile usb modem but it's the early black one that I know is difficult with Linux.

I'm thinking a 3G wireless router (Billion 7402 GXL maybe) will be a way round the problem. As I understand it - & that's not very well - the router itself will take care of the 3 Mobile usb modem compatibility, & the Aspire will then detect the router it as it would any other wireless router.

Is this likely to work or have I got it all wrong?

zzbot, Jan 28, 2009
  2. zzbot

exwannabe

You have the concept correct. The Belkin (or whatever) 3G/wifi router will look just like any other wifi to your AAO.

The only thing you need to verify is that the router and your 3G device are happy with each other.

exwannabe, Jan 29, 2009
  3. zzbot

zzbot

Update...

Bought it, it works :)

If anyone's looking for a home broadband wi-fi solution without a landline, this seems to do the trick. The one I bought is compatible with most 3G modems, and is 'unlocked' to the mobile networks. It's a Billion BiPAC 7402GXL.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Sh ... uctID=7108

Broadbandbuyer were great to deal with btw, very helpful on the phone & arrived next day.

zzbot, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question