3G : what's your deal?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rjm, Dec 3, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

The A1 has a little cover on the bottom of the case. Inside that hatch is where the 3G modem is supposed to go. Except that there's usually no connector there to attach one to. Acer aren't going to waste money letting users upgrade on their own, so only models sold with the radio will have the connector soldered onto the motherboard. There is also a SIM card slot behind the battery, again without the connector on the motherboard to receive the card.

Well, the 3G models have been really slow off the ground. I assume this is because the telcos and Acer couldn't reach a deal.

In Japan, wireless companies have been advertising netbooks with an external USB 3G modem for s few months now, with the following deal for the One being typical: Computer costs 9,900 yen instead of 54,900 retail, you get a USB modem, and sign up for a two year data contract for about 4,000 yen a month. Switching currencies: You pay about $1000 US in total, get a $500 netbook (the hardware is expensive in Japan) leaving the cost of the 3G data access at about $250 a year.

My main objections are 1) the netbook is the Japanese version, with non-English OS, and 2) Why should I have to use a frickin USB dongle for the radio when the it could be inside???? Geez get with the frickin program, people!!!!

Since a netbook ceases to have a lot of attraction once the "net" part is removed from the equation. (As I found when I was locked out of the wifi at a recent seminar) the idea of having 100% access certainly has an appeal. I wouldn't use it often enough to justify a large expense, though.

Has anyone got the Aspire One with the build in 3G modem?

Is anyone using a netbook/notebook with 3G? What kind of price/terms did you get, and what is "reasonable" to expect?

rjm, Dec 3, 2008
  2. rjm

mac4life

AA1 with ATT Broadband Internal @ RS on 12/14!

US buyers only...

I asked my boss before i went public with this info, but on Sun the 12/14/08 the sale starts.

I don't have the acer model number or color yet. but i do know it'll have the 120gbHDD, xp, and a 3- cell battery.

I won't announce pricing but, if you sign up for ATT Data connect package with a 2yr contract the price of the AA1 will be AMAZING!

Flock to your local RS stores and inquire about 25-777.

Like I said it starts 12.14, next sun!!!

If you do not, want a broadband card built-in, we offer the standard AOA150-1570.

mac4life, Dec 6, 2008
  3. rjm

rjm

One assumes free or nearly so. $49 sounds about right. I guess we'll have to wait a week to see the details... thanks for the heads up though.

rjm, Dec 6, 2008
Ask a Question