3G EVDO USB Card Recognition Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lamorake, Oct 27, 2009.

1. lamorake

lamorake

Okay, for the past 3 days I've spent some serious time trying to get my AA1 110 to recognize and connect with my USB 3G card...

I've made some progress, thanks to quite a few others out there posting. I'm going to attempt to be methodical and post hopefully useful info:

PROBLEM: When plugging in my 3G EVDO USB card, it's not being recognized via KPPP, GNOME PPP or Mobile Partner.

3G card: Sierra Wireless 598 (made by Qualcomm, as the micro-sd card slot in it)
    3G provider: Sprint

Steps taken to recognize card:
    1) Installed Sierra Wireless drivers - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1211&p=105541&hilit=sierra+wireless+linux#p8057
    2) Started to setup the "usb_modeswitch" - http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/#intro

The 3G card is now recognized in dmesg and if I do a modinfo for sierra it returns the drivers. However, if I try to use on any port it doesn't recognize a modem connected. I've tried the applications listed above to connect, and they all act as if therej's no device attached.

Here's a snippet of dmesg that shows the Sierra Wireless being detected. Can anyone glean something from it that may help?

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    usb-storage: device ignored
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sierra USB modem (1 port)
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sierra USB modem (3 port)
    sierra: probe of 2-2:1.0 failed with error -5
    usbcore: registered new interface driver sierra
    drivers/usb/serial/sierra.c: USB Driver for Sierra Wireless USB modems: v.1.2.5b
    usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 3
    usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    usb-storage: device found at 4
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access Sierra Wireless Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
    sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks for those that have helped before. :)

lamorake, Oct 27, 2009
Ask a Question