32gb direct swap upgrade

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kghunt, Oct 12, 2008.

1. kghunt

kghunt

I found this link over at http://www.mydellmini.com. But it also appears that they have 32gb ssd's for the one. The 32gb one is $99 and has a sustained read/write of 35/14 and they also do a 16gb model that has 43/26 the latter is $189.

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/Produc ... 1222405827

Has anyone used these? They are getting good reviews over at mydellmini. Obviously they are not blindingly fast but they are fast enough to run windows no problem.

One thing to note do not format them as NTFS only fat32 I have read alot of posts saying that they do not seem to handle NTFS very well and speed up 80 - 90 % in fat32.

If anyone has used one of these on the one I would be great to hear from you and get your thoughts. I just bought my daughter a 120gb model because the ssd is so slow on the one. The only thing that is putting me off at the moment is the speed of the ssd for my own purchase. I was looking at the dell mini but that is £250 if I can save the £50 and get a one then I can buy one of these ssd's and upgrade the one without hacking it.

edit:

for those of you who already have HD versions or are thinking of buying check this bad boy out

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/Produc ... 1193346162

kghunt, Oct 12, 2008
  2. kghunt

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 12, 2008
  3. kghunt

kghunt

Yes it is. Don't be misled by the picture they use the same picture for all of their ssd's. Read the description it is a zif ssd for the acer aspire one..

kghunt, Oct 12, 2008
  4. kghunt

melhiore

Sorry. I missed that ;) If there is ZIF connector this card will work with AA1. Only one concern is with fitting points. Original SSD card may be different in that matter... But if this seller's recommending this for AA1 that should be fine I believe...

melhiore, Oct 12, 2008
  5. kghunt

kghunt

It seems fairly good as they already supply up to 64 gig ssd's for the eeepc range and ssd's for the mini 9. Looks like no stock until the 15th. I have been reading up on these ssd's and it appears that they are all pretty much the same but they just adapt the interface each time a new size (physically) and connector is used.

kghunt, Oct 12, 2008
  6. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

But it does not say "ZIF IDE" - rather it says "ZIF Mini PCI Express". There are many different ZIF connectors, and as far as I can tell this card can only be installed in the Aspire One in place for the WiFi module, which is placed in the Mini PCI Express slot out of the factory. I could be wrong, but you'd better be sure about this before ordering.

Kjeld Olesen

KjeldOlesen, Oct 14, 2008
  7. kghunt

kghunt

I had a chat session with a representative from mydigitaldiscount. Here was the outcome...

Connecting...
    Connected by HTTP.
    Douglas Hare: Hello, how can I help you?
    Client: I have a question about product MDSSD16SLC-Z
    Douglas Hare: ok
    Client: I says it is for the Aspire one
    Client: but it says it is pci express zif which is it?
    Douglas Hare: hold please
    Client: no problem
    Douglas Hare: zif
    Douglas Hare: it is not what is pictured on the site
    Client: I figured that but the description said pcie also. So this is a direct replacement for the Aspire on stock ssd? Is the expected stock date still accurate?
    Client: ?
    Douglas Hare: yes, as far as we know... sorry I can not give you anything guaranteed
    Client: Ok will you know when the stock arrives? Will it be tested?
    Douglas Hare: typically yes
    Client: Thanks for your help

It is looking promising. They obviously will not commit to anything until they have stock themselves. But is definately inteded to be a stock ssd replacement.

kghunt, Oct 14, 2008
  8. kghunt

kghunt

Expected stock date is now 22nd they are stuck in customs. They guy said they are having trouble keeping any of their netbook ssd's in stock as they go out as soon as they come in.

kghunt, Oct 19, 2008
  9. kghunt

kapinouwi

10. kghunt

kghunt

looks good but it is more than twice the cost of the one from mydigigital discount. It is not a direct swap either as it is a 2.5" replacement it would require a bit of chopping to get in. That is of course unless you have the hard drive model.

kghunt, Oct 19, 2008
  11. kghunt

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  12. kghunt

kapinouwi

i know! :) it's just an example! i prefer a lot of beers and my little 8 gb acer ssd :twisted:

kapinouwi, Oct 19, 2008
  13. kghunt

melhiore

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  14. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

They changed the description from

MyDigitalSSD 32GB MLC ZIF Mini PCI Express PCI-e PCIe SSD for Acer Aspire One

to

MyDigitalSSD 32GB MLC Mini ZIF SSD for Acer Aspire One

though they missed the line "Expand your storage space for your Acer Aspire One Notebook with MyDigitalSSD PCI-e SSD." just above the specifications.

So, it appears to be ZIF IDE after all :D

The PCI-e version of the description can still (October 21st 2008) be seen in the Google cache of the page
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Fw ... =clnk&cd=1

I hope that a 64 GB version will soon be available - actually, I was more hoping that Intel would make a ZIF IDE version of their X-series SSD, that are blindingly fast when it comes to I/O operations (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/in ... spx?i=3403).

Kjeld

KjeldOlesen, Oct 21, 2008
  15. kghunt

kghunt

I am not after blazing performance. After all it is a netbook. I have a dual core laptop for that. I would just like average performance and enough space to get a few vids and my itunes library on. Also the ability to run windows if I wanted to.

kghunt, Oct 21, 2008
  16. kghunt

kghunt

I just had another live chat with Doug at MDD. He does not have any of the aspire one ssd's in stock as he has had not interest in them. I explained to him that this is because the description and picture are inaccurate and if he ordered one and had it tested and posted the results the orders would come. He agreed and said he had considered supplying one to JKKMOBILE like he did with the dell ssd's.

So it looks like he only orders on demand.

Hopefully they will be tested soon.

kghunt, Oct 22, 2008
  17. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

Hi

Yes, I am not really after blasting performance either, but I am running XP and the waits are inevitable due to the poor IOPS - that is why I mentioned the Intel Xxx SSDs which does really well in IOPS. I really bought the AA1 to replace my Nixvue Digital Album for storing images when traveling. The 8 GB SSD is no good for that, as I'd normally produce at least 4 GB per day, so ideally I'd go for at least a 64 SSD, but could cope with 32 for a little while.

You are spot on - no one would order any of those SSD's from MyDigitalDiscount as long as they are/were labeled PCIe and show the wrong picture. Why don't we both send an e-mail to JKK and suggest that he gets hold of these and test them out.

Kjeld

KjeldOlesen, Oct 23, 2008
  18. kghunt

kghunt

I already Emailed JKK a week or so ago :). I got no reply though.

kghunt, Oct 23, 2008
  19. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

OK, I have mailed him today asking if he could get hand on both the MLC and SLC versions and test them out. We see if anything happens.

Kjeld

KjeldOlesen, Oct 23, 2008
  20. kghunt

KjeldOlesen

Latest info by LiveChat with mydigitaldiscount.com:

Connecting...
     Connected by HTTP.
     Douglas Hare: Hello, how can I help you?
     Kjeld: Looking at the Acer Aspire One Mini ZIF SSDs. When will it be available - says ETA Oct 15th
     Douglas Hare: probably in about 2 weeks
     Kjeld: Has JKKmobile contacted you for a sample to test out on the AA1?
     Douglas Hare: we have not been able to send him a sample yet
     Kjeld: But has he stated any interest? Or will you send him some anyway?
     Douglas Hare: of course
     Douglas Hare: he will do it, I just need to get my hands on the stuff
     Kjeld: Great, then I'll await his testing before making any order. Will you get both the SLC and MLC versions at the same time?
     Douglas Hare: I hope to, but there is no way to know for sure
     Kjeld: Do you know if/when a 64 GB MLC version will become available?
     Douglas Hare: not just yet... we try and keep our website up to date
     Kjeld: Is it OK if I publish this chat on http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum?
     Douglas Hare: i guess, but I don't think I was very informative
     Douglas Hare: and I apologize about that
     Kjeld: Sure it was - two weeks to go, plus minus 400% ;-) Over and out. Kjeld

KjeldOlesen, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question