2 weeks in and mine is already at the repair depot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by MMD, Aug 1, 2008.

1. MMD

MMD

I had an awesome A1, I love the light linpus OS and the faster SSD. So I figured just a bit more RAM and this thing would be sweet, the perfect machine. WRONG 1 day after paying to installing 1 gig ram and the keyboard stops working (P, semi colon- the whole diagonally). Perhaps it was the updates I installed (so just in case I did a system restore but it d or a loose connection so I went back to where I did the install and they checked it and said it wasn't a loose cable. It started to work again but after the updates, it had the problem of a laggy keyboard (P would be slow or not work at all). In between this I wasted numerous minutes and hours calling acer support trying to figure it out but they did little.

I figured if it was a hardware issue why would the keys work selectively but at the same time if it was software it should have worked fine after I did system restore. I know I've posted this in the software board but I can't tell if its a hardware or software issue. I finally gave up and sent it back to the repair depot. Can any shed some light on this?

MMD, Aug 1, 2008
  2. MMD

MMD

Well its been in repair for a week and it seems when I called acer technical support they never got the computer (according to their files). I paid purolater and got shipping insurance too... I checked the tracking number and it says it was delivered. They said they would call me from advanced service depot after they checked to see where mine was, but they never did.

MMD, Aug 15, 2008
  3. MMD

osdude

File insurance claim on the first day you can with the shipper. It's amazing how often they 'turn up' after you make a claim.

osdude, Aug 16, 2008
  4. MMD

MMD

Well I got to the bottom of it and a note to all Ontario Canada usesr sending out for repair, the GTA depot is a total mess. According to Acer there recent battle with down servers has made everything go to shit in terms of tracking sent in units and doubled wait times on the repair hotline. They had to phsically track down my unit and report back to me (after a week and a half from the time it originally went in) and then maybe 3-4 days later sent email notifacation.

On the upside it was a keyboard issue....they fixed that plus the battery (no idea why there?). The cosair value select ram 667 works. They mysteriously sent it back to me monday (I only got email notifacation of this yesterday). It also seems to be showing up with the proper ram values in the system pref. It seems like it should would fine barring some more bad computer ju-ju

I'm sorry but, the whole mess has left me not wanting to deal with it anymore... I pawned it off on my brother and got a different laptop.

MMD, Aug 28, 2008
  5. MMD

Achilles

Glad to hear that you have got your One back. I heard today that they won't repair mine under warranty as memory had been installed. The problem was not memory related (the machine worked fine after the installation) but the policy here seems to be that if you have opened it then you lose the warranty. Period.

I have pointed out to them that even their own website gives information about a possible upgrade and no where in the warranty information does it state that a memory upgrade would invalidate the warranty.

Your experience with Acer support seems to be very similar to mine, however. I have spent numerous calls trying to track down the status over the past week and during this time I have not had any communication from Acer. They have asked me for my e-mail address at least 3 times, despite my havinbg filled in the product registration immediately on buying the One.

Achilles, Aug 28, 2008
  6. MMD

MMD

Well here is the thing. Depending on your location they will or will not fix the computer if memory is installed. At one point they were not going to fix it but I reminded them that I paid to have it installed and I was lucky that the store I had the work done at ran a promotion of ram installations when they first had the product.

As for finding your acer you gotta keep on them. Keep calling them and inquiring. They will always ask your for information despite you registering as they seem to have trouble with finding service tags and other info

MMD, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question