2.6.27 kernel

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sloggerkhan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sloggerkhan

sloggerkhan

So the 2.6.27 kernel ubuntu's using in ibex seems to support wireless, most everything out of the box.
    Any distros using 2.6.27 besides ubuntu beta? Just curious, as I dislike xubuntu but would like to find something lightweight using that kernel.

I tried adding ubuntu's version of that kernel to a debian install, but it has some problems....

So before I go customizing the heck out of ubuntu, just thought I'd check if anyone knows anything 'cause I can't seem to find anything.

sloggerkhan, Sep 22, 2008
  2. sloggerkhan

JimK

I'm pretty sure upcoming releases of Fedora and Mandriva will have 2.6.27.

Mandriva 2009 is scheduled for release on Oct. 9, with a 2nd release candidate that's supposed to come out Tuesday (Sept. 23). I don't know if Mandriva makes its release candidates public.

Fedora 10 is scheduled to be released on Nov. 18. It has a beta also scheduled for Tuesday (Sept. 23). If it's on schedule, it should be hitting the mirrors any time now.

OpenSuse 11.1 is scheduled for release Dec. 18. It released beta 1 about a week ago and beta 2 is scheduled for Oct. 2. Beta 1 has Linux kernel 2.6.27rc5, but I don't know if that will work with your wifi.

So you can try any of the above. Just remember that Linux distros are notorious for shipping late.

JimK, Sep 22, 2008
  3. sloggerkhan

melhiore

Mandriva already have this Kernel. I'm using it and I did not found any problems as yet...

melhiore, Sep 22, 2008
  4. sloggerkhan

Bushmills

about any, if your're willing to do the kernel compilation yourself. my upgrade/swapgrade path was:
    - downloading 2.6.27rc5 sources from kernel.org, compiling it to run with linpus
    - installing debootstrap, using it to install a base debian system
    - booting from USB flash
    - moving all linpus directories from / to /linpus
    - moving all debian directories to/
    - booting into base debian, adding stuff.
    the .config I compile 2.6.27rc with can be found from a link in one of the posts of thread

dropped linpus/fedora because its sysv init was too messy for my taste. I tried to clean it up for a while, but was confronted with new quirks and problems whenever I thought I had fixed one, resulting in a pile of Rube Goldberg boot schemes. Acer or Linpus are probably aware of some of the quirks, as one can find attempted work arounds for some in their init scripts. Example: killing the process nash-hotplug which comes from the initrd image, but just sits in memory and cosumes all CPU unless explicitely killed - what happens in one of the linpus init scripts. Anyone tried to boot into another runlevel than 5, or tried to make that runlevel work :)

Bushmills, Sep 22, 2008
  5. sloggerkhan

kevin

That's odd -- I have the stock Linpus install, and I don't get that problem.

I wonder if some of the problems people report with Linpus are from early updates? My stock Linpus works just fine (bought the machine last week).

I'm not averse to installing a different Linux distribution if it looked like it would help; but so far I've seen no compelling reason to.

kevin, Sep 22, 2008
  6. sloggerkhan

Bushmills

have you looked for the section in your init scripts, killing that process? If not: Right, you don't get that problem because of a hackish workaround in the init scripts, as provided by acer/linpus. Otherwise, your installation may indeed have been cleaned up - and that was needed. I got mine in the begin of August, a sticker at the bottom says "MFG.DATE:0807". I know that this process comes from the initrd image, because when using the same initrd on a different root file system (and that file not present, and no explicit killing of it), it remains in memory, as a CPU consuming process.

Bushmills, Sep 23, 2008
  7. sloggerkhan

blackhawk

I have stable vanilla 2.6.26.5 with aufs, coretemp, and bootsplash patch on Linpus. All hardware seems work properly except the internal speaker (no sound) and even have aufs module, storage expansion still not work. Wired LAN up event no cable plugged.

blackhawk, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question