160GB - Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by caligari, Jan 18, 2009.

1. caligari

drlmg

I admit I did not read all the responses, however from playing with and tearing up dozens of computers over the years I offer this advice. If the fixes listed above do not work then I would be afraid the hard drive was about to go out. It has been my experience with clicking noises from the HD (loud, not the usual noise you get from accessing data) is an ominous sign and either the HD has gone out or is about to. It shouldn't sound any different from the 120 GB HD. I would take it back, which I think you said you did but this is for others who may be having the same problem.

drlmg, Mar 24, 2009
  2. caligari

teaker1s

INCORRECT the 120gb drives merely need the appropriate APM settings.

The WD dives as fitted to the 160gb model are flawed by their firmware which chooses to ignore APM commands on head park. They are a pile of crap as the maximum head park value is more than just this and affects the firmware algorithm with anything but small settings.

What we need is someone to challenge WD on their crap customer support and turd firmware that is fatally flawed

teaker1s, Mar 25, 2009
  3. caligari

Jimmyboy

Has there been any further breakthrough with this at all?
    I'd really like to see this problem rectified.

Jimmyboy, Jul 2, 2009
  4. caligari

Universal

Would also like to know of any update. teaker1s ?.

Would it be helpful if we contacted acer about this problem also as some of us are in the uk couldn’t we contact trading standards ?

I have had this problem my self with my aao I have had click quite a lot the (sometimes) and agree it doe sound like the drive is parking its heads.

Currently I have aao with 160gb hard drive with 1.5gb of ram mine was also a limpus version. from asda I have installed xp pro my self.

My hdd details are

WDC WD 1600BEVT-22ZCT0

SERIAL WD-WXH*****4489

From my experience with magnetic media there life cycle flows a u shape curve. That is to so there prone to premature failure in the first year and then only become prone to failure nearing the end of its life cycle.

Cheers

Universal, Jul 3, 2009
  5. caligari

pablos

I've got an 120GB One and i'm getting this clicking noise every few seconds, mainly when the One is idling. There are 2 slightly different sounds: 1) It's a bit like the noise when the second hand on a clock ticks and 2) a bit like a dripping tap. Is there any fix that can be implemented within XP as i've now ditched Linpus in XP's favour?

Else should i RMA the unit?

Thanks
    :)

pablos, Jul 5, 2009
  6. caligari

Jimmyboy

a1ctl fan software will give you an option to stop the hd clicking issue in XP.
    http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

Jimmyboy, Jul 6, 2009
  7. caligari

Universal

got this today seems they don't want to talk why carn't they admit to there firmware flaw. anway here it is

Code:
    Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Joan R.

Does the drive make clicking noises when you use it or only when it is idle? The drive will make different sounds when moving the read/write head for data access and park modes. 

The sound you hear is the drive parking the read/write arm when it is not in use. The drive will park itself that way it is less susceptible to vibration damage than our competitor's drives. However, the park action will generate a "click" sound.

The drive will increase the load/unload count when it parks itself during idle periods. It does not wait for the hard drive to initiate an idle command since this allows the drive to secure itself against any potential or vibration damage. This allows us to rate the drive at higher shock tolerances; however, it will make a “click” sound during parking operations.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. 

Universal, Jul 6, 2009
  8. caligari

tivotron

Re: 160GB - Clicking Noise (250GB 11.6")

I just got the Acer One 11.6" from Newegg (250 GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115649 and I am also experiencing this annoying clicking noise. Sounds like it's the hard disk clicking (from my intermediate-level of computer savvy-ness).

FYI --- I installed Win7 and a bunch of the other recommended tweaks on the netbook.

After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like anyone has found a real fix for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tivotron, Oct 14, 2009
  9. caligari

bornstei

I just got the Acer One 11.6" from RadioShack and I am also experiencing this annoying clicking noise. Sounds like it's the hard disk clicking.

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bornstei, Nov 29, 2009
Ask a Question