14.7gb of Space. Should i get W10?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Joe Moses, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Joe Moses

Joe Moses

As the subject suggests.

My Stream 11 comes with 21gb of memory, 6gb of which has been used.

I don't plan on Installing any more apps, I have all I need so Skype, Photoshop, and a few others like filezilla and ccleaner.

I know Windows 10 is about 3.7gb but should I download it? I'm very weary as I don't want to fill space, the space I don't really have to use.

I'm currently running on 8.1 which is great.

So, what do yall think?

Best regards,
    Joe

Joe Moses, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Joe Moses

IBMPC8088

21gb of ram? That's incredible. I think you meant hard drive storage space instead of memory?

Windows 7 lite might be in order (14gb only to use of free space on that system, I wouldn't do the bloatware). Win7 would be better if it will let you install it and run it on that system. Even less bloat than Win8. If not, just do linux.

There's versions of Skype and Filezilla for linux, you may be able to run Photoshop in Wine (if not you can use Gimp on linux or something like it or emulate it), or emulate an older version of photoshop in the lightest build you can find of XP SP3 if it'll run on it. That way you can keep your system to a minimum but have your cake and eat it, too.

IBMPC8088, Apr 16, 2016
    Joe Moses likes this.
  3. Joe Moses

Joe Moses

Yes, I do indeed mean hard drive storage.

As of now, I'm doing just fine on 8.1. I tend to run CCleaner every few days to keep my system as clean as possible.

I've never used Linux and I do not intend to because I've heard that it is quite un reliable haha.

Thanks for the advice buddy!

Joe Moses, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Joe Moses

FenWoFon

Well, I personally think that you should definitely go ahead and install it, you have some good ammount of memory and I do not really think that it will not work properly, howeer you should give it a try no matter what, good luck.

FenWoFon, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Joe Moses

fcuco

The official requirements for windows 10 are: 16Gb of free hard drive space for 32 bit system and 20Gb for 64 bit systems, I assume the 21 Gb hard drive that you are talking about does not include your windows 8 installation.

I would not install windows 10 if I were you, for what? you seem to be happy with 8., why invite any complications into your life?

fcuco, Apr 17, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Joe Moses

Joe Moses

You're the guy!

Have a great day buddy.

Joe Moses, Apr 17, 2016
  7. Joe Moses

Nestone50

Here is something you might want to consider. You have a 32 gigs of flash memory for a "hard drive." You also have a SD card slot. With Windows 10, in settings, you can choose to install all programs, documents, photos and everything else besides the operating system onto a micro SD card. I got a 128 gig SD card on sale at Amazon and now my My Stream has, for all practical purposes, a 128 gig HD in addition to the 32 gigs on the built in drive.
    To install Windows 10 on your Stream, you will need to download the the Windows 10 OS from Microsoft onto a 8 gig or larger flash drive and install it on the Stream from the flash drive as there is not enough room to put the new Windows 10 OS installation files and the existing Windows 8.1 OS on your meager 32 gig HD at the same time.
    The beauty in this is the 32 gig HD is now reserved for nothing but the operating system. So, you won't be bothered in the future about running out of space. You must do this before July while the Windows 10 OS remains "free."

Nestone50, Apr 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Joe Moses

IBMPC8088

Linux? Unreliable? Must be some alternative universe where only Microsoft exists? :p You're welcome man. Yeah If I were on a system with 8.1, I'd either put Win7 or Win10 on it (Win7 if there was a choice) since Microsoft seems to want to get rid of Win8 even faster by discontinuing support sooner than for either of the other two. They already stopped supporting Windows 8 (first releases prior to 8.1), but Win7 is good until 2020 on out. I'd just go with an LTS (long term support) of either one.

IBMPC8088, Apr 21, 2016
  9. Joe Moses

nytegeek

I'm guessing @Joe Moses was referring to software compatibility and support rather than actual reliability. Fragmentation is the price you pay for freedom. Just look at Gnome.

nytegeek, Apr 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
Ask a Question