1.8inch drive issues, screen white issue , please help ???

Discussion in 'Storage' started by stephen0205, Apr 29, 2009.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205

ok so i cracked open the aspire one to add in a 1.8 inch hard drive.

so i took the hard drive out of my zune, 30gb toshiba drive.

and went to add it in the acer, the cable was to thick, it just would not go in, i think i need a zif flip cable, if someone can let me know if thats ok, that would be great.

Anyways i thought mmmmmm

i was sure it was a zif cable, so i yanked the one out of the zune and connected the drive back up and put the other end in the acer, closed it all up and nothing, wouldnt even power on. Nothing at all.

Disconnected it and it booted to bios instantly.

I did have a few other problems, like i got a white screen, that went black and then white again, i dunno what did that, i wigles the wire and it seemed to fix it, has this happened to anyone else, just so i know what caused the problem to start with, ive never seen a laptop do that before.

Thanks for any help in advance.

the drive is the toshiba 3008 model, it came from a microsoft zune, would this be a problem

stephen0205, Apr 29, 2009
  2. stephen0205

TantalusFld

Your Toshiba drive should be fine. Must just be a weak connection. Is it working ok now? See this thread on ribbon cable. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12665

TantalusFld, Apr 29, 2009
  3. stephen0205

stephen0205

thanks for the advice on the cable thread.

im going to order a new set of cables tomorrow, i mangled the original one trying to get it in the drive.
    Ill get a new zip and a flip cable, save me some sanding, just make it go fist time.

whats the difference with zif and a zif flip cable.

thanks

4. stephen0205

TantalusFld

Flip cable has conductors face down one end and face up other end. I needed one for a 2.5 to zif adapter I bought from Hong Kong. Had pin 1 at the opposite end but couldn't flip over the adapter because the connector is one sided. However on my Samsung drive and some other brands the connector jaws are double sided and you can just flip over the drive to get pin 1 lined up with pin 1 without needing a flip cable. Confused? So was I, after you take apart 3-4 times try different things it starts working.

5. stephen0205

stephen0205

ok im confussed now/

So either way, if i get a flip cable it will work, just a cause of trying the cable in a few different ways.

Just dont want to file down a cable, just buy one that fits.

6. stephen0205

TantalusFld

If you get one that is white at one end and blue at the other 10 cm long should work.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205

ok thanks ill order one tonight and let u know how it goes. Also i read that alot of people had trouble with these drives not showing in the bios, any tricks or tips to ensure it works first go, also what does it mean when people say locked, i read about that before, locked drives ????

and thank u for all your help

stephen0205, Apr 30, 2009
  8. stephen0205

stephen0205

ok the new cables came today yay

so i ripped the little acer back open and put in the new drive, i used insulating tape around the drive and then a sticky pad on the bottom. And the acer now turns on but the drive is still not there, just says none.

So now im like....... mmmmm...... what am i meant to do now :(

anyone who can help me its the toshiba 30gb 1.8inch drive i yanked out of my WORKING ms zune. Iits the model ending in 3008, anyone who can help at all it would be really really help full, ill stick some pictures up but im 100% certian i done it the correct way.

stephen0205, May 2, 2009
  9. stephen0205

stephen0205

ok got it working, the cable was the wrong way round, guess im a tool.

Well after that i had a strange half screen issue, but wiggling the cable in a bit more made it work fine, just finsishing installing windows xp and all should be good. ill report back as soon as i get a chance

stephen0205, May 3, 2009
  10. stephen0205

stephen0205

well i doubt anyone cares as this has been done a million times, but it worked ok and iis fully up and running with windows xp, all good and dandy, typing from it just now, all seems to have gone well.

The flip cable i bought however was a bit on he short side so i had to cut away another plastic rob on the board and mode it in that little bit more. Thanks for all your help.

stephen0205, May 3, 2009
Ask a Question