1.8" Toshiba or wait for RunCore

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by 2manydjs, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

I have been waiting for the RunCore SSD for a while and I'm getting impatient.. So now I'm considering a 1.8" Toshiba (MK3008GAL, 30GB). The reason I didn't opt for this before is the fact it has moving parts (sensitive to movements and makes sound).

The Runcore will probably run ~€70 for 16GB and the Toshiba is ~€45 (both include shipping). The advantage of the Toshiba: direct delivery and price. Advantage of Runcore: silent and insensitive to movement.

I have two questions on the Toshiba:
    1. How noisy is it? I have a 1.8" IDE disk from my iPod 3G which is very, very noisy. Is the 1.8" ZIF noisy as well?
    2. How fast is it? I have seen people state it has a read/write speed of 20MB/s. Is that correct? Seems very slow.. Toshiba specs show the following, which is applicable to the AAO?
    Code:
    Buffer to Host- PIO	16.6MB/sec
    Buffer to Host- Ultra DMA	100MB/sec
    Thanks in advance for your input!

2manydjs, Feb 22, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

fridtear

The same reason I didn't choose 1.8" Toshiba. I like it to be quiet, strong, cool and less noisy, and I was afraid a 1.8" HDD might spoil all the good things A110 has over A150. Well, maybe my concern was a little bit too much. :mrgreen:

And of course, you can not expect much performance inprovement, not as much as a Runcore SSD will do. Normally, higher data storage density and higher RPM will help the conventional harddisk improve the performance. For example, a 80G Toshiba (single disc) or a 5400-RPM Samsung can get the read /write speed up to around 35 MB/s, but that is the best a 1.8" HDD can do.

If you would like to do some soldering, a SATA/eSATA SSD would be a better choice, for performance, capacity and price. But as for Runcore and Toshiba, I prefer the former.

fridtear, Feb 22, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Thanks for your reply! I have been contemplating the SATA hack for a while, but don't think I will do it. Partly because I don't feel I'm up for it, but mostly because I don't have the equipment or time.. Where did you find the write/read speeds on those 1.8" drives? I can only find the theoretical speed of 100MB/s on all the spec sheets.. I have asked a friend about the noise his iPod 5G makes and he says it's non-existing while transferring files. That would be at least one disadvantage of the 1.8" I don't have to worry about.

I have found an even cheaper Hitachi (HTC426030G5CE00) which sells at only €36.50 including shipping. Unfortunately I need to add a €3 set for the flip cable (anyone left with spares??). At this price I would love to try it. Once the RunCores come out I can either put the 1.8" drive in my GF's AAO, or sell it.

Does anyone have some specs on the Hitachi? What kind of read/write speeds can I expect?

2manydjs, Feb 22, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

fridtear

Basically, the theoretical speed of 100MB/s only means they are using Ultra ATA-100 connection which has a speed limit of 100MB/s. I would prefer to google something out, for their real-world performance. And in some forums, people have some practical results for their 1.8 hdd as well, with various testing softwares, like ATTO, HD TUNE, HD TACH and Crystaldiskmark.

I've just tried google again and got some links.

For Toshiba MK3008GAL, here is one with HD TUNE and HD TACH.
    http://www.handtops.com/blog/151/0/Flip ... marks.html

For Samsung HS122JC, with 5400 RPM and 60GB per disc, which is almost the top one of all 1.8 ZIF HDDs, both for performance and price, here is one with ATTO.
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=45259&p=2

And one more link for a comparison among Toshiba MK8009GAH, MK6028GAL and Samsung HS122JC,
    http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/newbb ... 6&forum=17
    where you can see that for performance, HS122JC > MK6028GAL > MK8009GAH.

fridtear, Feb 23, 2009
  5. 2manydjs

fridtear

fridtear, Feb 23, 2009
  6. 2manydjs

ronime

Here's what I have learned, based on my own experiences with a used 3008GAL:

1. New 1.8" HDs are expensive compared to 2.5" HDs
    2. "refurbished" 3008GAL devices salvaged from iPods and offered for sale on ebay may be defective
    3. Transfer rates for the 3008GAL are less than 20MB/s
    4. The 3008GAL is fairly quiet in an iPod 5G
    5. The 3008GAL is almost as quiet in an A110
    6. The Runcore mini ZIF SSDs do not appear to be compatible with the AA1 at the moment

YMMV. After careful consideration I elected to sell my A110 on ebay and take advantage of recent price cuts on A150 HD models.

ronime, Feb 23, 2009
  7. 2manydjs

fridtear

I think 6028GAL is more attractive to me than 3008GAL, with around 60 euros you can get a new one.

Actually, I'm trying to make my decision between 6028GAL and Runcore ZIF SSD, to upgrade my GF's HP Mini 1014. As I know, Runcore has two types of ZIF SSDs, mini ZIF and 1.8 ZIF. The mini ZIF SSD is designed for HP Mini 1000 series so it may not be suitable for A110, but the normal size 1.8 ZIF SSD is designed for general purposes and should work with A110 as other 1.8 ZIF drives do.

Anyway, if next time I get a Runcore SSD for my GF, I would like to try it on my AA1 first. :lol:

fridtear, Feb 23, 2009
  8. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Thanks for all your replies, especially on the disk speeds and noise from the disk.

I have decided to do the following: buy the 1.8" HDD (actually just bought a refurbished Toshiba on eBay) and replace it with the RunCore once they are on proper stock. I can re-use the Toshiba in my gf's AAO. Then I don't have to wait for the RunCores to get on stock! (which can take I don't know how long, but if Murphy's law hold it will be the end of this week.. ;) )

2manydjs, Feb 24, 2009
  9. 2manydjs

fridtear

I'm sure that strategy works, guys can always make use of their GFs' computers like that :lol:

I almost bought a toshiba today when I was in Mediamarkt. They are selling external HDDs equipped with 1.8 toshiba inside but they only have 20GB at the moment, which costs 39 euros, a little bit more than I expected. I hope I can have larger ones at the same price and exchange it with the 8GB ZIF SDD, then my GF will have a 40/60 HDD for her Mini 1000, and I will have an external 1.8 SSD.

fridtear, Feb 24, 2009
  10. 2manydjs

briviere

briviere, Feb 25, 2009
  11. 2manydjs

fridtear

So, it seems better to use the 1.8 ZIF SSD instead. They are at the same price and I believe they have similar performance as well. JKK had tested one with HP Mini, it just looks fabulous. :p

fridtear, Feb 25, 2009
  12. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Indeed, I wouldn't choose the Mini ZIF. It is of course a "nicer" solution, but at the same price I would really prefer the better specs.

Does the 1.8" have the same problems right now? I don't think I've seen anyone with it on this forum.

2manydjs, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question