Wi-fi driver problems AAO 722

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Marmoter, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Marmoter

Marmoter

Hi,
    I have Acer Aspire One 722-C5Cbb (on bottom it says it's model P1VE6) and i'm having problems with wi-fi connection. It cant see any wireless network, and in Control panel->Network and Internet->Network Connections it shows that wi-fi is disabled (yes, fn+f3 is on), when i try to enable it, it stays as it is, on disabled but in properties of a driver it says "this device is working properly. I'm working on Windows 7 64x, and the drivers for wi-fi are "FOXCONN TW Wireless LAN 3rd WiFi 1x1 BGN Broadcom 4313" although i've tried all 8 of those provided by Acer on their site, no effect. I didn't googled any answer on that, but there were similar questions.. Any ideas? I'll gladly provide additional info.

Marmoter, Oct 14, 2011
  2. Marmoter

jrizal

Go to device manager to see if it's not disabled there

jrizal, Oct 14, 2011
  3. Marmoter

Marmoter

Nope, in "Network adapters" are:
    1) Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controler (NDIS 6.20) - Which i assume is for direct connection
    2) Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter - Which should be managing wi-fi, right?

Both enabled and should be working without problems... but does not...

Marmoter, Oct 14, 2011
  4. Marmoter

jrizal

Is your unit originally installed with Linux? If so, were you able to connect using Wi-Fi? Otherwise, I suspect a disconnected/defective internal antenna or maybe even a defective Wi-Fi card. Assuming you have tried all drivers from the Acer website.

jrizal, Oct 14, 2011
  5. Marmoter

jrizal

By chance, did you right click on the Wireless icon to enable it? fn+f3 is a soft on/off key in lieu of a physical switch (oft used to save power) and is different from enabling/disabling it from Windows with the intention of allowing user access or not to Wi-Fi.

jrizal, Oct 14, 2011
  6. Marmoter

Marmoter

I did, and after that it stays disabled, although none error notification or something like that shows up.

Marmoter, Oct 18, 2011
  7. Marmoter

jrizal

Did you do a factory default?

jrizal, Oct 18, 2011
  8. Marmoter

Marmoter

But of what? Wi-fi? That would be without driver you mean, coz i can't see such option for restoring to default. If you could guide me where i can find that, I'd do that. Additional info that might be helpfull: When i run "Acer 3G connection manager" error pops out "No 3G device detected".

Marmoter, Oct 18, 2011
  9. Marmoter

jrizal

I am asking you if you have done a factory reset as I understand that your model is the Linux version. I wanted to know if your unit can get a wifi signal out of the box. By doing this we can rule out if your wifi card or antenna is broken. I have posted this question before and all I get from you is a rant. And if you're still satisfied with your unit either try to return it or dump it. It seems No one is patient enough to help you out with your problem but myself. This obviously is not a very busy thread. So it seems you have run out of patience I'll guide you to your best options.

1. Put computer back to factory default
    2. Put in original box together with manuals
    3. Go back to store and get a refund.

Or

1. Do 1 and 2 from above
    3. Go outside and throw it in the dumpster

Have a good day...

jrizal, Oct 18, 2011
  10. Marmoter

Marmoter

Oh my, there has been an misunderstanding, seriously. I didn't ment to offend, or be understood anyhow agressive or something, honestly. But as i read my post, it does sounds a liitle harsh, but thats only by accident, probobly because english is not my mother language. And thanks for helping me in this problem, really i appriciate that. And i have a lot of patience, coz starting this thread i knew it could take some time to figure out the solution.

About the wi-fi problem, if you are willing to help me further.

It might have been Linux version, but i've installed Win 7 right away, and while rearanging partitions, i must have .... emm.. format one where default settings are. I've grown up on PC's and didnt knew there is such thing on Netbooks xD. So my question was real, how to put computer to factory default in this case...

So once more, dont get offended, it was misunderstanding.

Marmoter, Oct 18, 2011
  11. Marmoter

jrizal

English is also not my mother language. That said, let's still see what we can do.

It seems you have reformatted the harddsik which means that if you have no backup disks, then you can no longer go to factory default in Linpus Linux.

So here;s what we're going to do.

1. Did you install Acer's Launch Manager utility? If not do it. That ensures us that the fn controls work. (Might as well include ePower also).
    2. Once installed, makes sure that the orange light is on. This ensures that the wi-fi card and fn functions are working
    3. There are three wifi drivers for Windows (Atheros, Broadcom, Realtek). As per Acer Tech in another discussion, other AO722s use a different wi-fi module. You have also indicated that you have installed the Broadcom driver. Uninstall this driver and try the other two drivers. Hopefully that should work.

jrizal, Oct 19, 2011
  12. Marmoter

Marmoter

I was hoping that this Luncher manager will help, coz i found on other forum (while looking for this software) that wi-fi card does not work without it.
    I've installed Lunch Manager, wi-fi is on, fn keys are working and orange light is on. Moreover, when i turned on wi-fi in Lunch Manager after uninstalling driver for wi-fi, windows automatically installed Broadcom drivers.
    I've got some software from acer site, which detects hardware, and it seems that i have:
    Bluetooth "Atheros"
    Lan "Atheros"
    Wireless LAN "Broadcom"

Few weeks ago i tried each one of those drivers, so it cant be that. Now i've tried "HON HAI Wireless LAN 3rd WiFi 2x2 BGN Broadcom 43227" and "FOXCONN TW Wireless LAN 3rd WiFi 1x1 BGN Broadcom 4313", but still nothing... Wireless Network Connection stays on Disabled, pressing "Enable" pops up message "Enabling..." and second after that "Enabled"... but it stays on Disabled...

What is G3 Device, do i need it? And if yes, then should i get one that is in Driver label on Acer site, Which is a "Module driver" or the one in Application, or both. I'm asking, coz i don't want to make a mess on this notebook, so it won't cause problem.

Marmoter, Oct 19, 2011
  13. Marmoter

jrizal

I know it's tedious and redundant, but try another install of Windows and install the drivers and see which works. Let's isolate the issue here and determine if it's a Windows problem. Otherwise, it may be a hardware problem (ie. defective module, disconnected antenna, etc.)

jrizal, Oct 20, 2011
  14. Marmoter

Marmoter

Phew, got it. I've found similar thread on microsoft forum, where this problem was solved, it was on different netbook, but steps worked just fine.

"- Uninstalled Zone Alarm and Avast Antivirus.
    - Rebooted into Safe Mode.
    - Uninstalled WLAN 1397 Driver from Device Manager.
    - Uninstalled Dell Wireless card manager from Control Panel>Programs.
    - Rebooted into Safe Mode again.
    - Reinstalled latest 1397 driver package from Dell (R237742.exe)
    - Rebooted into Safe mode again to verify that the adapter was at least showing Enabled in Safe Mode, which it was.
    - Rebooted normally to find adapter showing enabled."

I've installed broadcom drivers, and everything is working now.

Jrizal, huge thanks for helping me thou. :)

Marmoter, Oct 20, 2011
  15. Marmoter

jrizal

Sorry for the late response. Moved apartments and didn't have internet for a week. :) Glad that you found a fix. So it's a combination of bad/wrong drivers and a firewall. Anyway, enjoy your new toy! :D

jrizal, Oct 29, 2011
Ask a Question