Why Do You Like Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by HappyKoi, Oct 14, 2016.

1. HappyKoi

HappyKoi

A lot of my more programming-oriented friends are crazy about Linux, and I've always wondered why. I have always used Windows, and I guess it's just easier for me to stick with what I know. It seems to be a lot of work to get Linux to work the way that you want it to, and it doesn't seem like there is much compatible with it. I also hear that it's really good if you want an OS that is easier to customize. Why do you like it?

HappyKoi, Oct 14, 2016
  2. HappyKoi

c3300

With Linux I can do much more with lower hardware requirements, and it is a lot simpler to fix myself if something goes wrong. (Stick in USB key, reinstall broken files). With Wine, I have pretty much all my Windows programs running on it, although Photoshop was slightly tricky to set up. Windows 10 didn't work with half of them.

Also my PC stays the way I want it - there are no auto-updates and feeding back system details to Microsoft. Windows 10 and the unwanted auto-update that broke software and drivers was why I finally dumped Windows.

c3300, Nov 2, 2016
  3. HappyKoi

Brian8gbSSDLinux

If you download Linux Lite 3.2 it is a Long term version, and will not need anything except minor updated for 3 more years
    it also has a built in database of easily installed programs that the average user would need so you can still 'think' you are running windows. - it looks a lot like Windows XP it is less than 900Mb in size to download and can be run from an USB stick if you make it Persistent while you try it before taking the b||||IG STEP to toss out Windows

Linux Mint (with Mate desktop) can also be run from a USB Stick but comes in at 1.7Gb
    Of the two, I prefer this one to Linux Lite (I've used Linux since 2009 now)

again in Mint there is a built in set of programs (apps) that you can add
    the installer seems to be easier to use than the one in Lite;
    There have been gigantic steps taken to make Linux as easy to use as Windows AND IT IS FREE (currently) there is a tendency to ask for donations to help in future development... as little 1 dollar... that is FAR LESS than the £99 Microsoft pegged me for so i could re-build my Windows XP Desktop to Windows 7.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jan 22, 2017
Ask a Question