What was the reason you bought a laptop instead of just a PC?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by OursIsTheFury, May 4, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury

I'm curious at why you guys did it. Travel? You want it portable? You want to bring it in public places? What's the deal? Why not just buy a sturdy PC, which would probably have cost less with better specifications and features, faster processing, and its own cooling system? What made you buy your laptop?

OursIsTheFury, May 4, 2016
  2. OursIsTheFury

IBMPC8088

Just mobility mostly. I still use the desktops and servers all the time for other things, but typing and seeing the screen is just more cozy and efficient, and if you have to go outside and continue your work while typing or reading something, it's a little more difficult to do that with a desktop than it is a laptop. A laptop is your compromise to having portability that a PC won't let you do, but gives you all the power, features, and hardware you need from that PC in a way that a tablet wouldn't let you do. It would be really funky trying to carry around a tablet with OTG cables hanging off of a 4 port hub anyway. ;)

IBMPC8088, May 4, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

I travel a lot but that's not the reason why I have a laptop. It is an official issue from the office. And since I have 2 offices that are cities apart, laptop if the most practical for my use. My husband is buying a new computer and he was considering a laptop. However, when he tried testing my laptop, he had a problem with the keyboard which is very near the monitor. And the feel of the keyboard is different. So now he is back to the desktop for his prospecting, no more laptop.

Corzhens, May 4, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. OursIsTheFury

IcyBC

It is for my convenient and the ability to sit wherever I want to do the work. I also have an issue with my legs being numbed if they are not elevated. So a laptop is perfect for me, and I like it as it's my own and not for communal usage.

IcyBC, May 4, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. OursIsTheFury

Sefie

I bought a laptop because my knees were getting affected because I spent too much time in front of the PC. I spent so much time sitting in front of that PC, that my knees started to show signs of distress. They were even making cracking sounds when I stood up. Basically that was my main reason to get a laptop :)

Sefie, May 4, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. OursIsTheFury

fcuco

Portability, nothing more than that. I strongly believe that those huge desktop replacement laptops are a strange thing and a waste of moeny, they don't make much sense to me. Why spend that amount on a semi portable huge thing when you could get much more powerful specs with a Desktop for the same amount? For laptops portability is the name, at least that's the way I see it. I needed a portable computer and Tablets are not there yet for all the things that I require from such a device.

fcuco, May 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. OursIsTheFury

b1gal

College. With a laptop I am able to move freely with it and do my work elsewhere (library, study rooms, etc.) Also, lugging around a desktop tower and monitor to move in is quite a hassle and the laptop is just that much more portable. I can easily slip it into my backpack and pull it out in class to take notes and whatnot.

b1gal, May 10, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

djordjem87

Again, it is the type of work I do. laptop is perfect for my job and carry it with me all the time. I am used to it in many ways because I type a lot and it is just right if you ask me. I am not a gamer type so my laptop is basic. Good for work, movies, social networking and general browsing. That is it.

djordjem87, May 10, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

Vash

First, a laptop is a PC. PC stands for personal computer, and it includes desktops and laptops.

As for why I picked a laptop over another desktop, It is definitely the mobility.
    Whether you want to travel around with your computer, or if you just want to move it around in your house/office, it is great to have a computer that you can easily carry around with you.

For me, I got my first laptop back in 2008. My goal? To take notes in my class (I was in the college at the time), and to do homework anywhere (classroom, library, whatever), and be able to carry the laptop to LAN parties at various locations.

I also had a powerful desktop at home built by myself, hooked up to a 40" LCD TV and 5.1 surrounding sound system. I couldn't carry that around with me, could I? :p

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Vash, May 15, 2016
  10. OursIsTheFury

hippyzomby

I have two kids and I cant just sit on a computer and work. I need something I can take to the park when I take them to the park so I can work from there. I needed something I could sit on the floor with and sit next to them.
    I also have a lot of dr appointments in Dallas, it is a great way to entertain my 4 year old as my son is being looked over.
    I prefer laptops over desktops anyways.
    I just think they are all around useful for any situation.

hippyzomby, May 19, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

obliviousme

Portability. It's just the perfect piece of technology for me since I'm still in school. I have to be out alot, do schoolwork at libraries, cafes or at my mate's place so it's very convenient, i can just carry it around with me. Whereas the desktop, you have to be rooted to one place which will not suffice.

obliviousme, May 24, 2016
  12. OursIsTheFury

SirJoe

I bought a laptop because I needed a computer for a course I was doing. My desktop was already a little long in the tooth so it was time to replace it. A laptop was the best option.

SirJoe, May 24, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

filmjunkie08

My laptop was a generous Christmas gift from my brother about five years ago. My son and I use it every day and have greatly enjoyed it. It is a Gateway.

filmjunkie08, Jun 3, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

acer93

Me still being a University student and also traveling a lot is the main reason.
    Right now in my life laptops are more useful than PC's, it would be a good thing to own a PC and also a smaller laptop, but you know how it is with college kids and money.

acer93, Jun 6, 2016
  15. OursIsTheFury

animos

As others mentioned, mostly mobility. I'd hate being stuck at one desk all the time for my computer use, I like being able to curl up on the couch with it in my lap to relax or move it to room to room to play music, movies, or podcasts as I clean the house. I got my first laptop in college and needed it then to take to class, meet up for group projects, study at the library, etc and I got used to having that portability. Now I would never trade that away.

animos, Jun 6, 2016
  16. OursIsTheFury

glreese

I am a college student, so it was a lot more convenient to buy a laptop. In fact, it would be nearly impossible for me to buy a pc and put it into my room that I would be moving out of after 4 months. Besides, with a laptop I can carry it with me to class and take notes. At home I have a PC.

glreese, Jun 6, 2016
  17. OursIsTheFury

cluckeyo

I do have a PC, and a Chromebox. But about my laptop... right now I am sitting in my leanback chair, watching TV amd visiting with my family on father's day. The ac and fan are on and it's super comfortable. I can do this because I am doing relaxing things on my computer, not coding or anything. Love my laptop!

cluckeyo, Jun 19, 2016
  18. OursIsTheFury

UpgradeMe

I wanted the portability at the time, and a desktop seemed a little bit more than I wanted to deal with. Fortunately, the portability has paid off in spades...I'd say to the point that I've taken it for granted. It's such an amazing tool to have, can't imagine where I'd be without it :)

UpgradeMe, Jun 20, 2016
  19. OursIsTheFury

vinaya

I bought a laptop for its portability and battery back up. Desktop is not portable and if I want a backup, I need an UPS to give power back up. Having a laptop saved me from installing power back up device. With a laptop, I could go whereever I want.

vinaya, Jun 22, 2016
  20. OursIsTheFury

cecejailer

Mostly because I need a computer I can carry around all the time but also because I hate how uncomfortable sitting in front of a desk can be. I'd rather be able to be in my bed constantly shifting positions. I think PCs are really bad for my back, 'cause I can never find the right position to sit in my chair so I always end up with a hurt neck after a long time.

cecejailer, Jun 28, 2016
Ask a Question