Virgin 3G USB ?- resolved

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Toh-Maag, May 20, 2009.

1. Toh-Maag

Toh-Maag

Does anyone know what Virgin send out as a dongle and whether it works with linpus? I have the new network manager and 3G Connection Manager.
    thanks

Toh-Maag, May 20, 2009
  2. Toh-Maag

Toh-Maag

Re: Virgin 3G USB?

Well I might as well reply to myself. Phoned a Virgin Media shop and they said the device is a HUAWEI E170. According to other posts I have read here it works :)

Toh-Maag, May 21, 2009
  3. Toh-Maag

Toh-Maag

Re: Virgin 3G USB ?- help please

I got one and it turns out to be a E160 with software on it to install it on XP or Apple. I ran the software on a desktop
    and have extracted what I thought was enough to make it work on my Linpus One:-
    <utpsdoc type="Profile">
    <ProfileGroup type="DialUp">
    <Profile name="Virgin" type="" readonly="true" device="" user="" password="" phonenumber="*99#" autoapn="false"
    apn="goto.virginmobile.uk" chap="false" pap="true" ip="" dns="" dnsalt="" wins="" winsalt="" imsi="" langid=""/>
    </ProfileGroup>
    </utpsdoc>

I do unmount the CD drive each time I attempt to use the device.

I have put as much of this info as possible into a very recently downloaded Mobile Partner and also into wvdial.conf and Gnome-ppp.
    Mobile partner finds it, and spends 10 or 15 minutes trying to connect, sometimes it comes back with an error and sometimes I just
    get fed up and disconnect it but in sum it doesn't work.
    I don't really understand enough about gnome-ppp or wvdial.conf - the line with username had <Your user name>
    and the line with password had <Your password> but as nothing seems to be required I replaced that with "" as in the
    script above.

[Dialer Defaults]
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    ; Phone = <*99#>
    ISDN = 0
    ; Username = ""
    Init1 = ATZ
    ; Password = ""
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB_utps_modem
    Baud = 460800

Also now tried it with <> for login and password but each time when gnome-ppp runs it asks:
    Please enter password or empty password to stop. As far as I can tell no password is required.
    Can someone help please or I am going to have to send it back, which would be unfortunate as 5 pounds a month for upto 1 gigbyte sounded good to me.
    John
    p.s. I think mobile Partner might actually work if it could 'see' the Virgin Network - it 'sees' all the others including T-mobile which
    is the one used by Virgin.

Toh-Maag, Jun 4, 2009
  4. Toh-Maag

Toh-Maag

I took notice of other posts elsewhere in this forum and tried Firefox with Mobile Partner apparently hung
    in a state of connecting and it works. One lesson I learnt was setting Tools, Options, Network to WCDMA only
    because if set to WCDMA preferred then it always connected with GSM which is not worth a candle, life is
    too short for that sort of connection. Only drawback is that the Statistics are not recorded but on the plus
    side I can check them on the Virgin website and therefore use the stick in more than one machine.

Toh-Maag, Jun 11, 2009
Ask a Question