Toshiba P55 A5312 Right Speaker Stopped working!

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Abritabroad, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Abritabroad

Abritabroad

Right Speaker stopped working but Headphones work in Stereo... I did a fresh installation of windows, checked the drivers etc in Device Manager, did the update driver thing but to no avail. Checked for all available updates too. It is an old laptop, but those speakers sounded so good :(
    Also, I checked the levels, and everything looks to be set correctly but both channels only work when using headphones Could it be that one speaker took an early retirement? I am baffled!

Abritabroad, Mar 2, 2024
  2. Abritabroad

Abritabroad

Update.. This message is my device manager under driver updates

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E5&SUBSYS_1179FA4E&REV_1003\4&10642aa7&0&0001 requires further installation.

Abritabroad, Mar 2, 2024
  3. Abritabroad

Flowace

You've done a great job troubleshooting so far with the fresh install and driver updates. Let's see if we can get some sound out of that right side.

First, grab some external speakers and plug them into your headphone jack. If both speakers on the external set work, it points to a hardware issue with your laptop's right speaker.

Next, double-check your sound balance. An uneven balance can make it seem like one speaker is dead. Right-click the speaker icon in your taskbar, go to "Sounds" and the "Playback" tab. Find your laptop speakers, click "Properties" and then "Levels." Make sure the left and right speaker sliders are both in the middle.

If you're comfortable opening your laptop (consult a guide first!), you can peek inside to see if there's any obvious damage to the right speaker, like a blown cone or loose connection. Be careful though, you don't want to cause more trouble!

Some laptop makers have built-in hardware diagnostic tools. Check your manual or the manufacturer's website to see if there's a way to run a sound-specific test.

If these steps don't solve the mystery, a professional computer technician might be your best bet. They can diagnose the problem more precisely and potentially fix or replace the faulty speaker.

The fact that headphones work in stereo suggests your sound card and audio drivers are probably okay. So, it's leaning towards a hardware issue with the right speaker itself. Hopefully, these extra tips will get that speaker back in action!

Flowace, Apr 24, 2024
  4. Abritabroad

Abritabroad

Thanks so much for the detailed reply
    Yes headphone jack is ok. It does appear that the right speaker is toast!
    Looking online for a replacement, only used so I am considering just plugging in an external speaker until I can track one down. Again. Many Thanks!!

Abritabroad, Apr 24, 2024
Ask a Question