Thinking about a new laptop, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by blaze23, Nov 27, 2014.

1. blaze23

blaze23

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and I am looking to buy a new laptop. I was hoping somebody could help me. I am currently a college student going for an engineering degree. I'm not to familiar with computers, but I do know with all the CAD I plan on doing, I will need a solid laptop. My budget is only up to $1,000. I have done previous research on laptops, and most of my choices came to gaming laptops because of their graphics capabilities. Again, I am a college student, so I will use this for things other than school and gaming.

I am looking for a laptop that is 15.6" and i7.

I have narrowed down my search to 5 different laptops. I have made an exception for 2 of the options on the budget because I thought these laptops were very exceptional.

1. MSI GE60 Apache -033 15.6-Inch Laptop

2. ASUS ROG GL551

3. Lenovo Y50

4. Lenovo Z50

5. Toshiba Satellite P50

Comments:

I am mostly leaning towards the MSI at this point. I like the specs and from the reviews I have read and seen online, it looks like a really solid computer. The customizable keyboard is a plus :).

I have read reviews on the ASUS ROG and it seems there is a lot of trouble with the sound quality and the keyboard. This is still a top contender though because of its price.

For the Lenovo laptops, I thought they both have excellent specs and I have heard good things about Lenovo. I don't exactly see much of a difference from the two laptops other than the price (Thoughts?).

The Toshiba P50 is a top choice because of its touchscreen option. The link I attached doesn't show my customizations to it, but overall it will come below $1,000.

All in all, currently I am mostly between these laptops. If I had to rank my current choices, it would be MSI, Z50, ROF, P50, Y50. I am not looking too much into other laptop choices right now. If you guys could just help me choose between these laptops, that would be great. Thanks!

blaze23, Nov 27, 2014
  2. blaze23

rageofgods

hi you guys! ;) so i want to run inventor cad on the next laptop im buying the thing is my budget 900$ isnt helping with what i want, i was talking to some friends and checking the specs you need to run it, that would be 12 gb ram plus a buch of other things but everyone says its better if i get a 16 gb ram laptop cuz on the long run ill need it. here are the specs of the software:

System Requirements for Autodesk Inventor 2015 Windows
    Operating System
    Recommended:
    64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 ¹ ²

Minimum:
    32-bit Microsoft Windows 7 (SP1) ¹ ²
    CPU Type Recommended:
    Intel® Xeon® E3 or Core i7 or equivalent, 3.0 GHz or greater ³

Minimum:
    Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ 64, 3 GHz or faster or Intel® or AMD dual core 2 GHz or faster ³
    Memory Recommended:
    12 GB RAM ⁴

Minimum:
    8 GB RAM for less than 500 part assemblies⁴
    Graphics Recommended:
    Microsoft® Direct3D 11® or capable graphics card or higher ⁵

Minimum:
    Microsoft® Direct3D 10® capable graphics card or higher ⁵
    Other
    • DVD-ROM ⁶
    • 1,280 x 1,024 or higher screen resolution
    • Internet connection for Autodesk® 360 functionality, web downloads, and Subscription Aware access
    • Adobe® Flash® Player 10 ⁷
    • Microsoft® Mouse-compliant pointing device
    • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8 or higher
    • Microsoft® Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 SP1 ⁸

rageofgods, Dec 5, 2014
Ask a Question