Slow running laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Viper69, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Viper69

Viper69

I have a acer aspire 3003 that is running slow iv saved my photos and music I want to put it back to the factory settings I have all the recovery disc but are not sure what to do can anyone put me in the right direction

Viper69, Jul 13, 2012
  2. Viper69

something back

What operating system are you restoring?

Note: a factory restore will require you to reload all your extra drivers software, an example, is say a printer driver. NOTE: All your previous data will be lost.

The very first step is to check if you have all your driver disks in place,if not download them from the internet.

Acer recovery cds have easy to follow on screen instructions. It's usually a case of loading the first cd then turning on the computer. F2 key will allow you enter the motherboard settings and alter the boot settings to boot from cd if not already
    set.

After restoring a windows operating system ,and before you start to use your computer as normal you should be updating all the windows updates online, these tips may be of use to you.

Extra tips:

http://www.laptop-forums.com/beginners-tips-mainly-windows-7-and-others-t23475.html

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    something back, Jul 13, 2012
  3. Viper69

JJ_PR Guest

Well I recommend a redo with Windows 7 once you have backed up your files (this works for 32 and 64 bit)

Here is my youtube video:
    [ame]

JJ_PR, Jul 14, 2012
  4. Viper69

autograph

What operating system are you currently using? Have you run a computer scan to determine that this is not caused by virus? Do not forget to defragment your disk storage as well as it could fix the issue.
    If you have do e all of the above and it is not working, you can do a clean install of Windows 7 (I assume you are using Windows). When I upgraded from Vista to 7, the difference in response time is really noticeable.

autograph, Mar 23, 2014
  5. Viper69

gadgetised

I would just go with a total reinstall of the OS. That way you eliminate any software issues and can start identifying if there are hardware issues.

gadgetised, Mar 23, 2014
  6. Viper69

Reg Dontache

Firstly You have to save all your important files and turn the laptop off. Then press power button, press ESC AND F F9 buttons on keypad simultaneously an option will show if you want to restore with and external disc or the computer recovery.You can pick restore without erasing the files or total erase and return to factory conditions.

You can also press the power button, the ESC AND F11 buttons at the same time. do not let go until the black screen shows uploading files for windows recovery. Then it will pretty show you want steps to follow.

Thanks and i hope this helps.

Reg Dontache, Dec 13, 2014
  7. Viper69

Reg Dontache

Reg Dontache, Dec 13, 2014
  8. Viper69

Sue Giplaye

Have you tried to see if there is any viruses on your computer? I had a slow acting laptop before and when I checked my programs I saw that a lot of programs had been installed onto my computer that I never installed myself. A lot of free downloads are actually hoax just to get you to release personal information or for a virus to get onto your computer.

Sue Giplaye, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Viper69

IcyBC

So many great resources here in this thread to exam! I too have a very slow running HP, but I won't attempt to do this myself as I am not confident enough that it will out at the end. My laptop is also suffering from over heating problem.

If you live in the States that have Office Maxx, they are currently offering free tune up and diagnostic problem for free.

IcyBC, Aug 4, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Viper69

SLTE

Yeah, this. As long as you have a reliable way to back up your files - and if you don't, this is a good time to start - I generally find that starting back from square one is advisable. It sounds painful, but you'll probably spend less time reinstalling the OS and getting your files back on track than trying to look for another alternative, potentially failing, and then reinstalling anyway.

SLTE, Sep 2, 2015
  11. Viper69

jamesbonner

If you are running windows 7 that should help you as our friend said before :

if you are using another OS, just tell us what is it so we can help you

jamesbonner, Sep 5, 2015
  12. Viper69

nytegeek

An actual virus is actually quite rare. What you have described here is actually a type of malware classified as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). Don't avoid software simply because it is free. Avoid freeware download sites and get the software title from the publisher instead.

nytegeek, Sep 13, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Viper69

KimmyMarkks

I'd start by running cc leaner on it. It will help clear up space. Then try and anti virus program just to make sure.
    Can you download your music and pictures to an external hard drive? That will probably help you a lot. I recent did this and my computer runs so much faster now.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 8, 2015
  14. Viper69

nytegeek

Clearing up storage space does not speed up the computer.

nytegeek, Dec 10, 2015
  15. Viper69

KimmyMarkks

I had an older computer that was very slow. I ran this program on it and it made it run a lot faster after the fact.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
  16. Viper69

nytegeek

Unless it was a PC manufactured before 2005 with very limited ram, a small hard disk and Windows XP or lower it isn't likely that CCleaner or any utility of the type made a speed improvement. Any improvement was likely caused by something else or just perceived.

nytegeek, Dec 11, 2015
  17. Viper69

Benoit W

1. Оnе оf thе mоst соmmоn rеаsоns fоr а slоw соmputеr аrе prоgrаms running in thе bасkgrоund. Rеmоvе оr disаblе аny TSRs аnd stаrtup prоgrаms thаt аutоmаtiсаlly stаrt еасh timе thе соmputеr bооts.

2. Mаkе surе yоu hаvе thе lаtеst drivеrs fоr yоur соmputеr hаrdwаrе, еspесiаlly thе lаtеst vidео drivеrs. Hаving оut-оf-dаtе drivеrs саn саusе аn аssоrtmеnt оf issuеs, inсluding slоw pеrfоrmаnсе.

3. Mаkе surе yоu hаvе аll thе lаtеst Windоws updаtеs instаllеd оn thе соmputеr.

4 . If yоu hаvе dоnе аny оf thе аbоvе stеps but yоur соmputеr is still асting slоw try rеbооting thе соmputеr аgаin аt this pоint.

5. Аs а соmputеr runs prоgrаms, tеmpоrаry filеs аrе stоrеd оn thе hаrd drivе. Dеlеting thеsе tеmp filеs саn hеlp imprоvе соmputеr pеrfоrmаnсе.

Benoit W, Mar 14, 2016
  18. Viper69

nytegeek

Most of this can be correct with the exception of the last point. Temp files stored on your hard drive being deleted will free up storage space but wont impact the speed of your computer in most cases. There are some rare instances when inaccurate information in a stored temp file might be misdirecting or slowing a program down, but that isn't usually the case.

nytegeek, Mar 14, 2016
Ask a Question