PC to MAC

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by KimmyMarkks, Nov 14, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

Has anyone made the change and switched over from a PC to a MAC? I've always used a PC and the only Apple product I own is an iphone. I'm scared it will be a huge learning curve. I've seen a few of my friends on their MACs and it seems everything from the icons to scrolling is difference on an Apple product. I'm concerned that I will spend more time trying to figure out how to use the computer compared to actually doing work.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 14, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. KimmyMarkks

IcyBC

I made the leap just about three months ago when my Window laptop got fried! The initial set up is a bit frustrating, but once you are over this, everything is just as easy and you will get used to it in no time. I also start out with an iPhone :)

IcyBC, Nov 15, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

Good to know! I know there is definitely going to be a learning curve. I am nervous that I may hate the way it is set up since I am so used to a PC. I think MACs looking nicer and have a lot more functions but I’ve always been scared to make the switch.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 16, 2015
  4. KimmyMarkks

IcyBC

Once it is set up, everything is similar as far as the keyboard goes and its functions. If you already know the basic of using/maintenance Window, it isn't too much difference between the two. What I like about my MacBook is how fast it fires up and how fast everything loading. Half of my relatives/family members have Apple laptops for years now, and they swore on it. I like the fact that virus problem is also a rare thing for it too.

IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015
  5. KimmyMarkks

Fear

It is great, the design is all cool. I would suggest you go for it. If you want, I suggest you go to an apple store and take a look about how you feel. ;)

Fear, Nov 19, 2015
  6. KimmyMarkks

Ishmael

A friend of mine did. He's quite happy about it. MAC computers are usually less lean on break for no reason, the software is pretty solid and the design is really cool like others suggested. Don't worry about being confused with the interface, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. :p

Ishmael, Nov 26, 2015
  7. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks

I guess my biggest concern is not liking the MAC once I switch. I have become so accustom to using a PC I am scared that if I buy a MAC I may regret it and wish I could go back to a PC. Unfortunately laptops aren't something that you can just return or exchange if you don't like otherwise I would be more inclined to test it out.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 2, 2015
  8. KimmyMarkks

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:I know what you mean for when I was going to the college computer lab, because I don't own a computer we could use both an Apple desk top and other PC's and there is a big difference. One is price and you can do a bit more with pictures and videos on an Apple. It's up to you what you'd like to use, but unlike a computer lab you can't just leave it and go to another computer you like better. Some have both and they like both if you can afford it...ipad and another laptop is usually what people own.:)

Krissttina Isobe, Jan 18, 2016
  9. KimmyMarkks

IcyBC

If we can return or exchange that would be fantastic, I agree! I just like the fact that my MacBook starts up in a flash and my loading time is also fast. I haven't experienced any screen freezes or any problem so far. I also don't do any download, or game playing but only use it for work, searches, writing and paying bills.

I think you should go to the Apple Store and play with one first, talk to the salesperson about your needs and wants in a laptop before making a decision.

IcyBC, Jan 19, 2016
  10. KimmyMarkks

StaplerAshtray

They both have their pros and cons and you should make the decision yourself based on what you value the most. If you like to play games, I wouldn't reccommend switching to Mac although Steam has been making most of their games available on all platforms and that is a pretty good move to bring gaming to all platforms. PCs however, by being the most used platform, provide a lot more alternatives to doing different things. I personally am thinking about buying a Macbook for web development, although I don't think it's worth full-price and may try to find a good quality second-hand Macbook instead.

StaplerAshtray, Feb 11, 2016
  11. KimmyMarkks

GearZ

I cut my teeth on Unix, DOS, and later Windows. Almost all of my IT experience is in Unix or Windows. However, I finally made the jump to Mac around 2008-ish on my notebooks and have not looked back. They just work without all the attendant BS that Windows provides. I do have a Windows 7 image on Boot Camp, but I haven't booted to said in almost a year as there is no need to. The Mac OS works for all my mobile needs and I have a Unix terminal living under said. YMMV.

GearZ, Feb 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. KimmyMarkks

vinaya

The only Apple device I have ever owned is an iPod. I have been using PC as long as I can remember, However, I have tried my hands on mac. I am thinking to make a switch but it is really expensive for my budget

vinaya, Feb 18, 2016
  13. KimmyMarkks

IBMPC8088

You can try out Apple's OS X first before you make the leap to see if its what you want without even having to buy a Mac just yet.

Check out Niresh OS X build and virtualbox.org to try a virtual machine of OS X if you have a computer with 1.8GHZ or higher and at least 4GB of ram

(dual and quad core systems and computers with more ram will run it faster, but you can still see if you like the look, feel, and overal layout of it compared to Windows or a KDE, Gnome, or Unity shell for Linux).

I still love to use OS/2 and GEM in virtual machines since its no longer practical to install just one OS per system when you're being economical and have to move through the day and your technology more rapidly than before. :)

IBMPC8088, Feb 18, 2016
Ask a Question