Need help choosing a laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Naveen agrawal, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Naveen agrawal

Naveen agrawal

Hi,
    I'm looking for a laptop for home usage with these features:
    -i3 or similar
    -4GB or more
    -500GB or more
    -SSD preferred for fast booting
    -Touchscreen
    -Lightweight (around 4 pounds)
    - Screen size 14 inch or in vicinity
    -International warrany
    -Durable and reliable. No cheap stuff
    -Price range ($400-$600) - lesser the better
    -No gaming or office work
    -Value for Money

While the usage is going to be mostly youtube , google search - still a full functional laptop is preferred.
    I've gone thru umpteen review sites and am confused.
    Some of the models I shortlisted:
    New! Asus - VivoBook Ultrabook 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop -i3, 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive, 256GB SSD - - Black/Silver - Model: S500CA-SI30401U - $429 at Best Buy

2. Asus - VivoBook Ultrabook 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - i7, 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive, 256GB SSD? - Black/Silver - Model: S500CA-SI30401U - $539 at Microsoft store

I'm looking for advice of experienced people as I'm rather new in determining this. I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Naveen

Naveen agrawal, Oct 8, 2013
  2. Naveen agrawal

cwavenger

Are you looking for Mac or PC? If you're going to be using it internationally, I would suggest a Mac due to the increase security capabilities.

cwavenger, Nov 3, 2013
  3. Naveen agrawal

Sefie

Sadly I couldn't get to see the laptops you are referring to because those laptops are no longer available. I did my own search tho, and it seems both of them are bigger and heavier than most ultrabooks. The screen in the first one isn't entirely HD and there are no extra added graphics or DVD drive.

Sefie, Jan 17, 2014
  4. Naveen agrawal

LindaKay

I think you should be able to find one for that. I would try comparing different models on Amazon. Once you decide which one you want, you can start shopping around for the best deal. By the way, I wouldn't say no to Walmart -- even though a lot of people don't think about going there for computers, they often have a nice variety for some pretty reasonable prices. I have had several computers from there over the years, and I haven't had any problems.

LindaKay, Jan 28, 2014
  5. Naveen agrawal

Sefie

I agree with Linda here, lol. Believe it or not I found my new laptop on Walmart. It's a Toshiba one and is a really good one. It's so fast and runs so smoothly. I'd never say no to Walmart :) I got that lappy for a good price ;) not bad at all!

Sefie, Feb 16, 2014
  6. Naveen agrawal

gadgetised

I would go for a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro. They are the most reliable laptops I have come across and you can run Windows on them if you want to.

gadgetised, Mar 17, 2014
  7. Naveen agrawal

JPeg

Naveen, I have an Asus Vivo Book and although it took a little getting used to, I find it to be perfect for what you're describing. At first, the touch screen option was a little off putting but after a while, it was a nice option when I wanted to access something quickly. The battery life is limited so you will have to recharge it more often than other brands.

JPeg, Mar 17, 2014
  8. Naveen agrawal

mikelouis

Those two that you have mentioned am surprised with all those great features they are only a few dollars. You can buy them but if you have enough money then simply go for the macbooks

mikelouis, Mar 23, 2014
  9. Naveen agrawal

maxparker0

I agree that the Macbooks are the best laptops out there. Anyone should consider them, if budget is not an issue.

maxparker0, Apr 12, 2014
    Haleema Khan likes this.
  10. Naveen agrawal

Ryancomputer

Ryancomputer, Apr 17, 2014
    Haleema Khan likes this.
  11. Naveen agrawal

Haleema Khan

I'd like to recommend you Dell Inspiron 17R it's an inexpensive laptop for you to go with. It comes with either Core i3 and Core i5 versions. 4GB and 8GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4400 and much more. Most importantly its under your budget :)

Haleema Khan, Apr 21, 2014
Ask a Question