My touchpad is over-sensitive

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by clair02, Sep 23, 2016.

1. clair02

clair02

Please advise me on how to make my laptop touchpad less sensitive. A lot of times when I'm typing something, it just clicks on something by itself. It's very annoying and sometimes it affects my work when something gets accidentally deleted. Is there a way to make it stop doing that? I'm a total noob and I'm seriously tech-challenged so I couldn't figure it out by myself.

clair02, Sep 23, 2016
  2. clair02

Novelangel

First of all, buy yourself a little mouse designed to work with a laptop. Hook it up, and then switch off the touch pad. There should be a little on/off switch located somewhere on the touch pad itself, or nearby. I had this issue myself, years ago, when I would be typing something and the heel of my hand would accidentally hit that stupid thing, causing my screen to roll around on me. This isn't good when you're writing because if you don't notice it right away, you could end up with a mucked up dialogue or whatever. Now whenever I use a laptop, I automatically hook up a mouse and turn off the pad. It makes life a lot easier. ;)

Novelangel, Sep 23, 2016
  3. clair02

rz3300

I would hope that there is something in the settings where you can play with some kind of adjustment, but that said, in my experience these really do not make all that much of a difference, and it is usually something beyond that. I guess you never know though, but I I hope ti is not the case where you are going to have to go with something new. Best of luck to you.

rz3300, Sep 23, 2016
  4. clair02

Fuzyon

I don't think there's anything you can do about it, touchpads are notorious for being really bad on most of the laptops on the market (except on Macs) so unfortunately there's not a lot you can do. I guess you could try turning off your pad while writing and re-opening it while navigating but that's really tedious.

Fuzyon, Sep 23, 2016
  5. clair02

Elektron

Buying a mouse will help you with all problems of this sort since pads are kind of an alternative way for using the cursor just in case you dont have any mouse at all, that's why you must get yourself a mouse to avoid this sort of thing from happening since you probably will get the pad broken if you keep doing like that.

Elektron, Sep 23, 2016
  6. clair02

something back

This should work

Depends on what windows version you have, try going to 'My Computer > Control Panel > Mouse.' On the tabs at the top one should say Track Pad or similar, in there will be many settings you can adjust.

You can also disable the track pad here how

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241048/how_to_disable_your_laptop_touchpad.html

something back, Sep 23, 2016
  7. clair02

Corzhens

I agree to that. In my first months of using my laptop, I was really irritated by the track pad that sometimes I shut off the laptop for an unscheduled rest just to ease my emotion. And then I was advised to use a mouse. And since we have several extra mouse at home which are pluggable in a USB socket so there it is. And for more than 2 years now, I have been living with a corded mouse which made my computer life easier.

Corzhens, Sep 24, 2016
    Novelangel likes this.
  8. clair02

clair02

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice, I've resolved the problem. Something in the settings to delay the effect when I click on the touchpad. It works much better now. Thanks again.

clair02, Sep 24, 2016
  9. clair02

Vash

The problem might have been solved by OP, I'd still like to mention that I used to have the same issue once... right after an installation of Windows 7 (yes, years ago, upgraded from WinXP). An update of device driver fixed the problem. Sometimes it is the driver problem causing the issue. So when it happens, the first thing to do is to check out the device driver and update it to the latest.

Nowadays more and more laptops come with touchscreens. Touchpad is no longer needed in such case. We can always disable touchpad and completely relay on touchscreen, or mouse if you prefer.

Vash, Oct 9, 2016
  10. clair02

djtech

Touchpad sensitivity can be fixed from within Windows. But, if that doesn't work you can always try disabling the touchpad and use a mouse instead.

To modify touch pad sensitivity
    Start -> Control Panel -> Mouse icon -> Touchpad Tab -> Move the sensitivity bar to low OR
    Start -> Control Panel -> Mouse icon -> Pointer options -> Move the "motion" bar

Disabling touchpad varies from laptop to laptop. Usually, you can find the option above your Function keys.

djtech, Oct 9, 2016
  11. clair02

rz3300

I am dealing with this right now and it is driving me crazy. It is not something that happens all that often, but it seems to come in waves. It is so annoying though, because I will try to just click on something and all of the sudden I am across the screen hitting something else.

rz3300, Oct 9, 2016
Ask a Question