Linux4One and Kuki

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Anfernee, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Anfernee

Anfernee

Hey guys, I've just found 2 distro's that are supposedly built specifically for the Aspire One. I guess what makes them good is that the drivers for all the hardware is included (webcam, mic, card reader(s), but not positive). Anyway, Kuki looks pretty good, and it seems to be what I'm used to, since its a "normal" interface.. Is Linux4One (looks no different from UNR), easy to navigate? That is, is each program easy to find in the menus, and stuff like that? I read that a lot of people don't like UNR, because its actually slower and just generally worse than plain Ubuntu... Any opinions on either one? I like the idea of them being build FOR the aspire one, but is there any real benefit other than that?

Anfernee, Jul 7, 2009
  2. Anfernee

Reno

I haven't tried either one yet. I'm using Crunchbang with Sickboy's kernel. Works well for me.
    Still, I think a distro made specifically for the AAO may be the best way to go.
    Sorry I can't answer your question, but no one else has yet and what I suggest FWIW is that you try both and figure out which one you like best.
    I want to do that myself when I get time. Crunchbang works well if you load Sickboy's kernel, but I think a distro that works OOTB with out too much tweaking or loading of separate kernels would be the answer.
    You may want to try running Either distro from a USB stick (if both or either of them let you do that) and thereby get an initial feel for what you might like, without actually loading it to you AAO's hard drive.
    Kuki keeps improving apparently, so that may be a good place to start.

Reno, Jul 10, 2009
  3. Anfernee

exparrot

I only received my A1 yesterday, and I immediately installed the 'easypeasy' distro.

The only thing I had to update/replace was the Network Manager. The original one wouldn't allow me to enter a 64 Bit wep key! (wierd), so I
    replaced it with WICD, and it works fine.
    I haven't tested the SD Card slots yet, and I think the sound might not comeback after closing the lid, but I'm still trying to verify that.

I have the Linux4One on my hard drive awaiting install if easypeasy doesn't work out!

exparrot, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Anfernee

argee

Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, stock, but upgrade to the Kuki kernel. This will work real smooth, and fast,
    even with 8GB SSD and 512MB RAM.

I have both AOA110L, and a 160GB/1GB RAM AOA150.

Whatever you do, be sure to get the 6-cell battery. I runs all day (or for an extended lunch hour
    every day for a week, all on one charge!)

--argee

argee, Jul 30, 2009
  5. Anfernee

rarebook

I am fan of linux4one. I would use native Linpus but found it impossible to get 3G working reliably(though I did have it running once, but there seems to be some bug). I tried Sidux but found it too complicated, beyond my skills, to get 3G working. Running Ceni did not do it. Everything works on linux4one, just plug in the Vodafone modem and it connects. I did enter the APN, user name and password for Vodafone in utsmon, it is not clear to me whether this is necessary.

Not that installation of linux4one went smoothly. Often it fails, probably in part because the quality of the CD I burned, maybe I should have bought better media and burned more slowly. I cannot get install from UDB stick to work.

linux4one full version runs slow on the solid state hard disk. To a great extent this can be fixed by setting up partitions manually during install and selecting ext2 instead of ext3 for the main filesystem. If you do this, it is also necessary on the next screen to click on Advanced, and check the destination where the boot loader will be loaded, as by default it is hda, an if you have a SSD you need to change that to /dev/sda, otherwise the computer will not boot.

rarebook, Aug 4, 2009
  6. Anfernee

A_I

If you have increased RAM (like 1.5 GBs), the normal Ubuntu or Fedora is the right choice imho. Those are full-featured distros. They do require tweaking, but in the end you can get almost exactly what you wanted.

A_I, Aug 6, 2009
  7. Anfernee

rarebook

I struggle with Aspire One#s horrible keypad, small screen, and keyboard. Eyes are not 100%, and I like to touch-type very fast on a standard keyboard. So I use Aspire One only for occasional web, email, word processing, media player. For users who prefer a fast OS, and easy setting up, linux4one is fine.

rarebook, Aug 20, 2009
  8. Anfernee

shadow of the locust

its a netbook. its meant to be small? :|

shadow of the locust, Aug 29, 2009
  9. Anfernee

adgud

I've been using linux4one 1.1 (1.5 has a couple of things broken) for a long time and thought that its the best distro for aao - quite smooth, most things work properly, however I turned off the UNR launch thingy (it was barely responsive).
    But then, after 2 months, it became very slow, so I got rid of it. No idea what was the cause, maybe you will be more lucky.

Then I gave a try to kuki, however its appearance doesn't appeal to me so I didn't stick to it.

Last week I installed the newest Crunchbang and I'm very pleased with it as far as, after minor tweaks everything works nicely, 720p videos run smoothly, which is what I was looking for.

The thing I miss the most after leaving Linpus is the wifi switch, I haven't managed to make it work on any other distro.

adgud, Aug 29, 2009
Ask a Question