Laptop for Photo Processing?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by thenextpage, Nov 5, 2014.

1. thenextpage

thenextpage

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at my inquiry. I'm looking for a high-performance laptop. I'm a hobbyist photographer, and will be using Adobe Lightroom as well as Photoshop. I want a laptop that can process my photos quickly with no lag. I also will do some video editing, but not too much of that, mostly still photos. If possible, please let me know what types of components I should be looking for in a laptop, to achieve this. I'm not overly concerned with screen size, since I'll be using an external 27" monitor to link to the laptop when doing the photo work.

1) What is your budget?
    $3000, + or -

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    13" to 15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I'm in the US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not leaning towards or away from any brands

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Photo editing (Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop), and business

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As much as possible

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Yes, preferably

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    I prefer Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    Most importantly, that the laptop is able to support a high-definition external monitor (2560x1440 27")

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Not sure

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat - prefer not too bulky

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    No rush - could even wait for next generation Intel processor

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 years or so

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Prefer SSD drive - at least 350GB

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Not necessary, but if optional I'd go with blu-ray burner

thenextpage, Nov 5, 2014
Ask a Question