Is the Mac book really worth its price?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by hpfounder, Aug 26, 2015.

1. hpfounder

hpfounder

I am looking to get a new laptop and I thought I could try getting a Mac for the first time. I am reluctant to get one, though, due to the things I have heard concerning the unavailability of most programs. What has been your experience with the macbook? Would you say it is worth the price tag?

hpfounder, Aug 26, 2015
  2. hpfounder

ColourCoder

I would say it depends on how you are planning to use it. I've had a Mac for a few years, and I can say that it is pretty good at handling softwares that let you make "artsy" stuff. But for games, it is pretty awful as you can't download 90% of those available for PC. So yeah, depends on how you use it.

ColourCoder, Aug 26, 2015
  3. hpfounder

Sefie

I'd go for a laptop if i were you. A friend of mine has a Mac and it doesn't seem that great, the other day his machine was so slow with skype open he had to switch to iPhone in order to keep the conversation going. Plus with a Mac you have access to so little games... I say not worth it for someone who wants to do a little bit of everything with their machine.

Sefie, Aug 26, 2015
    ColourCoder likes this.
  4. hpfounder

IcyBC

I have a MacBook now, and I only use it for work. I don't play games and I don't download games! I believed the above commenters are right. It depends on what you are going to use your computer for or what you want to do with it!

IcyBC, Aug 30, 2015
  5. hpfounder

SLTE

Yeah, agreed with most of what's posted above. Macs are pretty good for artsy, work-related stuff. There are a ton of good programs for creating. Macs are also quite easy to use if you're looking for a streamlined experience.

If, however, you're looking to tamper with the configuration of your computer in any way, go with something else. Macs are kinda meant to be good-enough-as-is machines, and Apple makes it rather difficult to upgrade. It's not even a simple matter to repair a Mac yourself - unless you have a lot of tech knowledge specific to Macs, I find it much easier to deal with issues that crop up on PCs.

And, yeah, games. PCs are much better for top-shelf gaming. Though there are a lot more smaller titles available for Macs these days, if Steam falls into your line of interests. I like indie games so I have plenty of games to play on my Mac.

SLTE, Sep 2, 2015
  6. hpfounder

angela10

I'm officially a Mac convert after having previously owned three Windows laptops. While I've had no problems with them, except probably for a few lags here and there, I'd say that my current Macbook Air trumps all of my previous laptops (two Toshibas and one Samsung). Just to give you a short background--I travel a lot and I use my laptop everyday for work. Based on looks and portability alone, the Macbook wins hands down. It's easier to multitask through different windows, and its speed is also top-notch. I've had my Macbook Air for two years now, and I have not had any complaints. Now, just a disclaimer, I'm not saying that the Macbook Air is for everyone. If you're a heavy gamer, I don't really recommend a Mac. I'm not that knowledgeable about gaming specs, but hearing my brother and sister talk about games a lot, I do think you'd be better off looking for a heavy-duty Windows laptop to suit your needs.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a message so I could share my experience!

angela10, Sep 28, 2015
  7. hpfounder

kbnystudio

I have been a Mac user for 6 years now and will never go back! I love my Mac and have had an iMac and a Macbook Pro. I haven't had any struggles with availability of programs, but if there is something specific you needed you can also install Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp. I have this on my Macbook incase I absolutely need a PC for something. I think it is a great choice for you!

kbnystudio, Dec 8, 2015
Ask a Question