How often do you change laptops

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by artyarson, Jul 7, 2016.

1. artyarson

artyarson

I bought my first in 2008. I got my second in 2012. So, I would probably go for another one this year.

What about you, guys?

artyarson, Jul 7, 2016
  2. artyarson

ProNine

Honestly, I don't change devices unless my new one is actually in a bad shape, to the point where it's counterproductive to use it. For example, I had a 3 week job in which I got paid, and my mother told me to buy a new laptop despite having a completely functional one. I think a lot of people either want to keep up with trends or focus more on the aesthetic part rather than the functional one.

ProNine, Jul 7, 2016
  3. artyarson

vinaya

After using my laptop for 7 years, I changed my laptop earlier in the year. I will continue to use this one until it starts to give me headache, which will be somewhere in the next 4-5 years. If it starts function before that I will change the parts, instead of buying a new one.

vinaya, Jul 7, 2016
  4. artyarson

IBMPC8088

This is a hard question for me to answer, since I go through so many of them routinely just to fix and sell.

I sometimes hold on to one for a few months, or a few years, depending on who wants or needs one and what I need to use it for.

I still have my netbook from 8 years ago that I wouldn't sell even though I'd only get like 20 bucks from it lol. It became of nostalgic value and that means more to me today than the resale of it.

I have a higher end Acer and HP with 8GB of ram and a 1TB hd and SSD drive in it (both are quadcore) that I would sell before that little old thing. I still get a lot of use out of it, and every time I turn it on, I remember the things I developed on it that were fun or landmarks of accomplishment digitally. Most of my desktops I was able to part with, but only after making the OS virtual so it's never really lost but just archived on a large hard drive somewhere and always ready to run on another desktop later if need be.

I either have really new systems that are rotating to newer ones on-demand, or older systems I keep forever, and seldom the inbetween.

IBMPC8088, Jul 7, 2016
    CarlosTL likes this.
  5. artyarson

Vash

I have only changed my laptop once due to my first laptop died on me. It was a Dell Vostro 1500, and it was bought in 2008, died in 2015. Full 7 years of useful life made the money worth. Although the only thing died was probably the graphics card or the screen, since it can still be turned on but with nothing on the screen.

After my Vostro 1500 died in October 2015, I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. I do not see myself switch to another laptop any time soon unless either it dies or no longer meet my basic needs.

I truly do not see the need to frequently upgrade laptop unless there i really the need to. Either the need for more power, or more portability. If you are after the cool factor, then by all means go for it if you have the money to burn. :) To me, it is just a fancy tool to do my work a a little entertainment.

Vash, Jul 7, 2016
  6. artyarson

hades_leae

Although I have had the same laptop for 3 years, I have bought another one 3 different ones in between that time span because I thought I needed a new one. The first one that I bought was because I like the color, but I did not actually need it so I returned it.

The second one was because I wanted another one specifically for my programming, and I just wanted 2 laptops because I usually have a lot of work that I do at once, but I returned it because the laptop didn't serve it's purpose, it was way too slow.

The third one I bought because it was on sale, but I didn't even need it, but I figured that I'd store it until my current laptop goes bad. I needed the money so I returned it. I'll lust wait until this one goes out.

hades_leae, Jul 8, 2016
  7. artyarson

cluckeyo

I have a brand new one now. The one I just retired, lasted 8 years. It never went completely out but it was having lots of problems. I was afraid I would lose my data so I went ahead and got a new one. Wow it is so fast, and runs so well compared to the old one. I am loving it!!

cluckeyo, Jul 10, 2016
  8. artyarson

author33

I will buy a new one when it's slowed down =)))

author33, Jul 11, 2016
  9. artyarson

Kavon

I change my laptops very rarely. The main reason is because it's a huge hassle to configure and set up a computer from scratch. All the settings have to be adjusted and many programs need to be installed. And because the new laptop is a new model (or even brand), it takes time to get used to it.

Kavon, Jul 16, 2016
  10. artyarson

IcyBC

I only get a new laptop of mine is dead. So far I have three laptops and currently using MacBook after the other two died. I can't afford to replace laptop whenever I wanted too, and usually have to save up for a while before thinking of a new one.

IcyBC, Jul 16, 2016
  11. artyarson

Corzhens

My laptop is almost 3 years old and I'd say it is okay for 2 or 3 more years. Our first home desktop lasted for 5 years only because it became obsolete at the emergence of Windows. Our next home desktop lasted for 5 or 6 years. Based on those statistics, 5 years can be the standard age of a computer's life although it depends if you regularly upgrade your computer then it will have a longer life span.

Corzhens, Jul 16, 2016
  12. artyarson

artyarson

How much time does it take for an average computer to start shutting down very often out of overheating? Mine started after 2.5 years. What about yours?

artyarson, Jul 22, 2016
  13. artyarson

afatosum

Well, I try to buy a new one every four years. I do this just to keep up with improvements in technology when it comes to laptops. I buy brand new machines because they give me longer service.

afatosum, Jul 25, 2016
  14. artyarson

SirJoe

I don't have a habit of changing my laptops frequently and only will get a new one when my laptop has become so dated that I can't run the programs that I need or that it develops a problem that I can't fix. I am of thinking of building a desktop for more intensive work and just using my laptop for lighter work.

SirJoe, Aug 3, 2016
  15. artyarson

abonnen

I do not change laptops until the other no longer works, or become a hassle to work with. I just got a new chromebook a few months ago, my old one was literally held together with tape.....I still use it for day to day fun/personal browsing and keep my new one just for work and it almost always stays in the office. I will admit that I am hard on computers in general, but not on purpose.

abonnen, Aug 6, 2016
  16. artyarson

Elektron

Well, It's a shame you've had to change your laptop three times when you could've bought a good one and still be using it nowadays :p
    Fortunately, I've never had to change my laptop since it's not something I use that much to say I have to change it whatsoever, as I've mentioned on other posts I've made, I do not really use laptops as much as I used to because I somehow figured out smartphones are as good as laptops and way more comfortable to carry, however, I still use the laptop for work purposes.

Elektron, Aug 7, 2016
  17. artyarson

AngelicDevilTel

So far I have had 3 laptops
    The first one I had for a year and switched up because of hard drive failure and a fried motherboard
    The second one lasted me 7 years and just stopped working a few years ago
    The one I use currently has failed on me 3 times already but I continue to use it because I don't want to change up yet (next year maybe I will if this one lasts that long)

So how much I change it up depends on what problems I have with it, if I don't have any problems there is no point in getting a new one.

AngelicDevilTel, Aug 7, 2016
  18. artyarson

acerme2

This is my first laptop, and it's a month shy of turning two. I'm using it for fairly basic things like browsing, researching, and typing so specs-wise, it's working perfectly fine. I have no plans of replacing it in the next year or so unless it actually breaks down. I do have external backups of the files stored in my laptop so I won't lose much when it finally gives up on me.

acerme2, Aug 9, 2016
  19. artyarson

cluckeyo

I change laptops as often as a I need to. I spilled a Dr, Pepper on my 1st laptop. It was maybe 4 years old. I retired the 2nd one at 8 years, though we are trying to fix it up to gift it to someone who needs one. If we can get it going good, we will do that. I now have 2 new laptops and they are getting heavy video streaming use. So who knows how long they will last. When they go out, I will replace them.

cluckeyo, Aug 9, 2016
  20. artyarson

brdwlk

I typically find myself changing out laptops about every three to four years. As many others have said, it usually happens because the laptop was no longer capable of performing as I need it to. I play a lot of resource intensive games, and every year these games push the envelop more and more, in terms of graphics quality and realism. This requires better GPUs and faster processors.

brdwlk, Aug 21, 2016
Ask a Question