Google's Chrome browser versus IE on the Acer One Aspire

Discussion in 'Windows' started by SanFranciscoAcer, Dec 30, 2008.

1. SanFranciscoAcer

SanFranciscoAcer

I have the $299 Acer Aspire One from Best Buy. The model has an Atom processor with 1G RAM and 8G SSD with Windows XP. The 8G SSD definitely poses challenges with the write function being so slow on XP machines. The system is extremely sluggish when surfing the web using IE. I made some minor setting changes to see if that would speed things up to no avail. I tried other browsers as well. I tried Opera, Firefox, old Netscape, and Safari for Windows. None of these made a huge difference. I did try Chrome and saw impressive results. Chrome lets me fly on the Internet. I did some comparisons on the same machine between IE and Chrome and I could get to sites about 2-3 times faster on average. Chrome would bring up msnbc.com in about 3 seconds. IE required a painful 7 seconds. I'd recommend installing and using Google's Chrome as your default browser. IE is a complete hog. Mozilla and Opera are not bad, but Chrome seems to be the best for speed on my machine.

SanFranciscoAcer, Dec 30, 2008
  2. SanFranciscoAcer

Forone

I've used Chrome since it came out, restricted to Google's own stuff - it runs things like Docs and Earth better than others. Chrome is very fast, but Google is too snoopy for me to use as default browser. I installed the new beta FireFox 3.1 recently and it feels just as fast as Chrome and is quite stable. It lacks full FireFox extension support so I won't make it default yet. But using Chrome is giving up extensions altogether. This is a pretty good comparison:

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ ... ?artc_pg=1

Forone, Dec 30, 2008
  3. SanFranciscoAcer

frandu

I'm not sure if it happens just to me, but Chrome seens to have a kind of flash/shockwave issue. From time to time youtube pages simply crash or freeze for a long time. And i receive an humouristic error message saying that the Shockwave is not working, so the chrome will close.

Anybody get this errors too?

Safari is worthy trying?

Happy Holidays!

frandu, Dec 30, 2008
  4. SanFranciscoAcer

jeremysdad

I love my Chrome...tried Avant, didn't like it. Tried Opera, it made my machine crash. Tried Lunascape, it was slow...Chrome has been my favorite so far...
    Reasons:
    1-No system crashes
    2-It is teh quickness
    3-Leaves the most screen real-estate for actual viewing pleasures
    4-So simple, even a caveman(person) could use it...

jeremysdad, Dec 31, 2008
  5. SanFranciscoAcer

azz2811

i have chrome on my desktop pc and i love it!!... but my AAO has windows sp3 so chrome doesnt work does anyone know when chrome will come out for sp3?

thanks

azz2811, Dec 31, 2008
  6. SanFranciscoAcer

Photomonk

That is not true. I tried Chrome on my AAO and it worked well for most sites, and I have had SP3 before I installed it. The sites it did not work well for were the work related secure servers since Chrome was a not recognized as a certified browser. My guess is that as Chrome becomes more mainstream, there should be fewer problems.

Photomonk, Dec 31, 2008
  7. SanFranciscoAcer

Stu

Chrome is a quick browser, but only stick to sites that you know are safe as it hasn't got a whole lot of security in it yet.

Stu, Dec 31, 2008
  8. SanFranciscoAcer

azz2811

thats strange because when i tried to install it an error came up saying you need to have sp2 to continue with this installaition i might try again next time i get around to it.

azz2811, Dec 31, 2008
  9. SanFranciscoAcer

frandu

Does anyone can access the Hotmail website with Chrome? When i try to reply or write any mail, it's all blocked and I can't type. Weird....

frandu, Dec 31, 2008
  10. SanFranciscoAcer

Forone

I don't use Hotmail, but it's a fact that MS designs its own sites to run better on IE. (By comparison, Google is now advising users not to use IE for its Gmail because it has designed that for FireFox and now Chrome.) You can use Microsoft sites, including Active X sites like Windows Update and Windows Live, by running IE within FireFox, using an extension called "IE Tab" - it eliminates the need to keep IE on the desktop since any site can be set to always open as an IE tab within the FireFox browser. There's no equivalent for Chrome.

Forone, Dec 31, 2008
  11. SanFranciscoAcer

vickid

I took Chrome for a test drive and quickly found that it would not run my Bank website at all. Why, I have no idea, so that was a deal breaker for me.
    It does run faster than IE.
    I also tried Flock and hated it, too much stuff on it!

For me, FireFox rules.

vickid, Jan 5, 2009
  12. SanFranciscoAcer

stepppy

I am using Chrome on my Acer and I really like it, the main reason the quickness and having the most screen available for browsing.

What I don't like is not being able to have a button available for selecting Favourites. The only way I can see of getting to them is by having the bookmark/favourites toolbar visible, but then it makes the screen area smaller :( It's easy to add favourites, just like Firefox, but it's getting to them afterwards :(

Am I missing something?

stepppy, Jan 6, 2009
  13. SanFranciscoAcer

pxharder

I've had some issues with layout on some websites, similar to issues I've had with Firefox, but overall I love Google Chrome on my AAO. Having the tabs at the top with the URL window makes for a very clean experience. I use Chrome almost exclusively and only revert to IE when I hit one of those sites that do not work in Chrome. It's faster, cleaner, and runs better than IE.

Enjoy!

Paul

pxharder, Jan 6, 2009
  14. SanFranciscoAcer

Pete Ford

I've been using Firefox 2 (I don't think 3 is ready for primetime yet, despite what they say) and it works wonderfully on the AA1. Technically the version 2 stream is no longer supported but that doesn't stop it being available for download - Google "Firefox 2.0.0.20 download" and you can get to the right page on the Mozilla site very quickly.

Pete Ford, Jan 11, 2009
  15. SanFranciscoAcer

Stu

Given the security flaws in Firefox 2 that they have no plans to fix I'd seriously recommend moving to 3. Its also a more stable browser than 2.

As for Chrome. Version 2 beta is now out.

Stu, Jan 11, 2009
  16. SanFranciscoAcer

Forone

Just installed the new IE8 RC on the netbook, and it is much nicer than 7, rendering speed about the same as new FF3.1 and Chrome, resource use about the same as FF3.1 and much less hoggy than Chrome with multiple windows open. A very comprehensive description of it in PC Mag.

While I'm sticking with FF3 for default, if I was running a little SSD on this netbook I probably wouldn't waste disk space on two browsers.

Forone, Jan 27, 2009
  17. SanFranciscoAcer

mikelouis

Google chrome works well on most laptops so I do not expect it to have any issues on your laptop. You can confirm this by checking the minimum requirements that Chrome needs. I have been using it on several laptops but never had an issue with it.

mikelouis, Mar 2, 2014
  18. SanFranciscoAcer

Clanky

I did not use Internet Explorer since ages. It's not very customizable and is running very slowly compared to Google Chrome. I would definitely go with Googles browser if I'd be you.

Clanky, Mar 3, 2014
  19. SanFranciscoAcer

jwalk

Google Chrome is a good browser to use on most laptops as I find Internet Explorer lags quite a lot. It's best to test them out and see what works for you.

jwalk, Mar 5, 2014
  20. SanFranciscoAcer

OhioTom76

While Chrome is a fast browser, if you are seeing that drastic of a change in speed, it's very possible that your other browsers including IE became infected with some adware/malware. You should run a complete scan with something like Malwarebytes to clean off your system.

To the user who was inquiring about Flash on Chrome, Google's Chrome browser already comes bundled with it's own customized version of Flash. This runs independent of the Flash plugins you need for other browsers.

OhioTom76, Mar 15, 2014
    Charles Franklin likes this.
Ask a Question