Custom desktop script (DEPRECATED)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by k0ro, Aug 13, 2008.

1. k0ro

Guest Guest

Re: Custom desktop script

So how safe is this script? How likely is it to stuff up the aao? Just don't want to take any major chances as i don't have external cd drive and no spare usb keys so wouldn't be able to recover.

Guest, Aug 15, 2008
  2. k0ro

k0ro

Whoa! How did you get to that point? I've never seen that while hacking my desktop.

k0ro, Aug 15, 2008
  3. k0ro

k0ro

Take my advice: If you can't restore your system, then don't touch anything (that includes running my script). Even using Live Update is too much a risk if you can't use the Recovery CD.

k0ro, Aug 15, 2008
  4. k0ro

two_wheels

OK I took the plunge and I am now back up and running, and typing this message with Firefox 3! Thanks k0ro! Not being able to modify the desktop was driving me nuts. This is exactly what I was looking for! Nice work.

two_wheels, Aug 15, 2008
  5. k0ro

eruhuan

Usually i dont really post much on forums, but i just cant help but commend your script. Its really awesome!! two thumbs up, you just made my life easier.

Comments for other users hesitant to "take the plunge":

Im really a linux noobie, and actually this is my first time to use linux OS. This script just made my life waay easier in terms of customizing my AAO laptop/netbook just the way i want it. As a further note, since this script does not really change the OS your running its sort of a safer customization for us noobies. Be warned though, make sure your able to be able to recover though and back up all your files. Ive used my recovery thumb drive twice! before being able to fully accomplish the script (why you may ask?? ---> not so good internet connection :D )

DISCLAIMER: of course, use at your own risk, :)

PROS: almost everything

CONS: Home key does not work (can anyone help me how to make this work again?)

eruhuan, Aug 16, 2008
  6. k0ro

k0ro

Thanks for the review! :)

As for the Home key issue (another bug hunted, thanks!), you'll need to edit the file /usr/bin/superhome.sh this way:

• Open a terminal (xterm, Terminal...)[/*:2auvb584]
    • Run the command sudo mousepad /usr/bin/superhome.sh[/*:2auvb584]
    • You'll find something like this:[/*:2auvb584]
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh

xfdesktop2 --gohome &
      #showdt > /dev/null 2>&1 &

and you need to change it to read as this:
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh

#xfdesktop2 --gohome &
      showdt > /dev/null 2>&1 &

• Save the changes and close the text editor.[/*:2auvb584]
    Your Home key should be working now.

k0ro, Aug 16, 2008
  7. k0ro

Sid

Thanks for your efforts on this, great stuff.

I am running the script right now, had a key warning in the Fedora core packages section (I ignored it).

Can you tell me what USB modems are supported, E220 I pray?

Bluetooth support, any specifics, or do you want us to test?

Off topic question:
    In your opinion is dd the best way to clone my SSD to a USB stick or should I be using Gparted?
    I do want the boot capability on the USB stick.
    The USB sticks (multiple snapshots) will be my recovery mechanism. Far better than fighting with the results of the recovery disk :)
    I suppose I could learn some scripting, and run the tweaks from sh.

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  8. k0ro

Sid

Loaded fine.
    Comments (not complaints).

When I hover over the xfce menu button, the tool tip is in Spanish (no es un problema). Can I edit it?
    When I hover over Terminal, Firefox and claws email all show their name twice.
    Pidgin shows :

Pidgin
    Pidgin IM

unionfs appears to have been removed, so the left slot will not function as with acer's config?

My wifi connected without changing settings.

More detail as I find it.

Thanks again.

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  9. k0ro

two_wheels

Right mouse over those buttons and choose "Properties" to change the tool tips text.

two_wheels, Aug 16, 2008
  10. k0ro

Sid

Thanks.

This desktop and associated software is what acer should have shipped !!
    At least the Xfce documentation should make more sense now :)

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  11. k0ro

onemadscientist

This desktop is "exactly" what I was looking for. A very large thank you for sharing.

There is on thing that I would like to fix, and that is that my file manager opens up automatically when I boot up. I checked the AutoStarted applications by clicking at the top of the right click menu, but it wasn't in there. Any idea as to how to turn this off during the boot?

Thanks again!

onemadscientist, Aug 16, 2008
  12. k0ro

Ceno

you sir, are a linux god. I have never seen a "homemade" script of this magnitude, brilliant

I won't use it entirely because I absolutely hate the xfce desktop, but I'm quite interested in the kernel module for usb modems. I'll give it a run in the next couple of days and try out my E220 modem.

Ceno, Aug 16, 2008
  13. k0ro

eruhuan

Holy crapola, that single character messed up my home key, damn!, i'm really a noob!
    Thanks! im really looking forward for this thread and future updates that may be included here.

As they say, answers just bring up more questions and without further a do are some additional bug reports.

1.) Im not sure if this is a bug or whatnot, but when running vanilla linpus lite,
    a.) In the thunar file manager, i was able to save shortcuts to folders in the side pane? As of now you may be able to save, yep thats true, but when you restart your laptop, all your shortcuts in the sidepane is gone.
    b.) previously there was this feature of the thunar file mangeer that merges your SD card expansion slot with your main SSD HD, now i dont know if its missing or gone, but any way to bring it back? (its not a big deal, im just curious)

eruhuan, Aug 16, 2008
  14. k0ro

eruhuan

BTW, i dont want to sound like a whiner cuz of my previous post, so again, i'd like to commend koro for the script

4 thumbs up!!! (Include your big toes)
    :lol: :D :)

eruhuan, Aug 16, 2008
  15. k0ro

Angorn

Hey, I'm trying to get this installed but each time I run into problems when it trys to install livna repository. First is says that I already have livna 8.1 buy then when it trys to connect to the server I get a HTTP: Error 503 Service Temporarily unavailable.

I would really like this to work please help me.

Angorn, Aug 16, 2008
  16. k0ro

eruhuan

Noticed that i said i formatted my netbook twice to run this script

1. What i did was i used the Acer's default system restore to make my netbook factory default again.
    2.Then i updated via default live update
    3. I followed koro's instructions to the letter
    4. I slept
    5 When i woke up voila, my netbook is now running desktop version xfce4

:D

PS: IM no linux expert, im just a noob, so i dont know if the reformatting is required,.. but, well, it worked for me.

i hope this helps...

With regards to the error reported by the script if the required files are unavailable for the site it will look for another mirror, to DL from, as far as i know, the script is very noob friendly, it will just install itself just as long you are running on AC power and you have reliable internet connection.. That's why i just slept and did not bother monitoring the whole process, when i wake up, its there,..

as a side note, i almost jumped in excitement when i noticed it installed itself.

eruhuan, Aug 16, 2008
  17. k0ro

Sid

I have been enjoying my new desktop and looking at keyboard peferences.

Three questions:
    Has xkill been removed as the key sequence doesn't seem to work.
    In the attached image, what is that item/icon on the top left of the window, second one in?
    where do I configure xterm key commands?

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  18. k0ro

emir

Thanks k0ro for a very good script.. I have a question to ask though.. How do we "unmount" our sony memory stick? or is it not necessary to do so? Sorry, this is my first linux experience.. Obviously, I'm using a SE handphone..

emir, Aug 16, 2008
  19. k0ro

thepyawkt

:eek:

mine did not complete - it said there was a problem with Livna...? Now I cang access my package manager - HELP, please...! :cry:

ok - I see eruhuan's message - will try to reinstall first..... then SLEEP while waiting........ :?

Now I am getting a message that I have to be root for adding livna - I did do the re-install to original off the CD... what can I do? I tried signing in as root and re-doing the steps to be told there was no directory Downloads.... What am I missing?

Thanks!

thepyawkt, Aug 16, 2008
  20. k0ro

Acme

First of all, hi! This is my first post on this forum. I got a AAO 150ab ;)

First go to the directory where you have downloaded the script (probably /home/user/Downloads)
    Run the script as root (first type sudo su - at the command line)

1. the xkill is not a command. The key combo kills the X environment. Now try the ctrl-alt-backspace combo instead.
    2. I think that sticks the window (it's present on all virtual desktops) if I'm not mistaking
    3. what do you mean with this one?

Acme, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question