Boot to a command prompt.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nack, Jul 17, 2008.

1. nack

nack

Does anyone know offhand what would need to be done to have the laptop boot to a command line instead of booting all the way into X? I'm trying to figure out what to do in order to get full xfce running properly, but I've already needed the recovery disk once. I'd vastly prefer to test my install/config attempts by shutting down and restarting X, rather than rebooting and hoping I don't need to pull out the recovery disk again.

It looks like some of the grub options would probably need to change; the settings seem to indicate that it's set for silent booting and reduced logging, though I haven't delved into the actual meaning of the flags yet. I'm assuming a bunch of stuff in /etc is going to have to change as well, but I'm not used to Fedora's init scripts so I have some digging to do.

If anyone has already looked into this, I'd be grateful for pointers.

nack, Jul 17, 2008
  2. nack

KGB

Need to install a new grub version as discussed here http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=315&p=2220&hilit=grub#p2220

Then you need to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf - just as shown below

Code:
    # modified
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    #hiddenmenu

title Linpus Linux RCD
    	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    	kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=linpus vga=0x311 splash=silent loglevel=1 console=tty1 quiet nolapic_timer
      	initrd /boot/initrd-splash.img

If things went well, you will have 10 seconds to enter boot menu and edit boot options

hth

KGB, Aug 9, 2008
  3. nack

longrun

Press Key "TAB" on booting(when press power button), then show the menu of grub.

longrun, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question