Anyone else here trying to learn a new language?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hi guys! Is anyone else over here also trying to learn a new language... it can be a human language or a computer one ;)

I'm currently learning Dutch. I keep on studying very hard every single day. I will be taking a very important exam, if I pass it I will get my MVV visa. So I'm both super excited and nervous. I have been teaching myself dutch with a self-teaching course (very boring).

I'm also myself with free reources online, later I might join one of those paid sites... like for example ''Dutchpod101''.

Sefie, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

I installed Duolingo app on my phone to try and learn Spanish, but I can tell you, I fell miserably! I believe my age has a lot to do with my ability to learn a new language. My tongue is now too stiff to try messing around with a new one.

IcyBC, Sep 4, 2015
  3. Sefie

Sefie

I tried Duolingo too. I didn't like it much, it's good, but I have noticed is not good for keeping people motivated :( I was motivated the first week, but later I quit it. I haven't touched it since then. I am now using a different web site to help me learn more new words, the bad thing about Duoling is that it doesn't really help you memorize words so efficiently.

Sefie, Sep 4, 2015
  4. Sefie

thess

I have only tried Spanish but I'd love to learn a ton of languages. You never know when you'll need them. I was walking down the sidewalk one day and a man came up to me asking me if I knew where the library was. But he first asked me if I could speak French. It was unexpected, but I could have helped him a lot easier if I could speak his language.

thess, Oct 31, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Yes, I honestly love helping foreigners in distress (I like to think of them like that, lol), it feels so good to know you helped someone who can't speak your language so well, so you answer them in their own language. It always leaves me feeling so accomplished :)

Sefie, Oct 31, 2015
    CreoleQueen777 likes this.
  6. Sefie

CreoleQueen777

First of all good luck on your big exam. I've been trying to learn Spanish for four years now and I don't understand why I can't understand a word that's being said to me but I can form simple sentences in Spanish just fine. Another weird thing is I learned how to read and write in Spanish at a 2nd grade level my first year of learning the darn language. Weird and a little embarrassing because my family speaks Spanish. #Fail

CreoleQueen777, Nov 16, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

Oh, so sorry to hear that :( Maybe you haven't tried the right method for you? Sometimes an immersive method works wonders, even if it's just active listening. It worked for me.

Sefie, Dec 14, 2015
  8. Sefie

djordjem87

I really like to learn, not only languages but in general. My English is quite OK, I think, and I have learned Greek and some Spanish from songs and TV shows. Nevertheless, my long time wish was always French. I find it so fluent and fun to speak and, several years ago, I downloaded some Oxford French CD's, and I started to practice and learn. I was doing very well because I understand how a language should be learned, due to the fact I am a student of English language and literature, but i had to leave my country to work and just couldn't find time to continue. Now I am back here in Serbia where jobs are a rare thing so I have enough time to make a nuclear weapon. My plan is to find those CD's and my notebook and begin again.

djordjem87, Dec 16, 2015
  9. Sefie

Sefie

Oh no, so you are also having troubles finding a job too? So sorry to hear that, in my country jobs are rare too, unless you know the right people, of course. I hope you can find a new job soon, having too much free time because one can't find a job is never a nice feeling :( I talk from experience. Best of luck to you!

Sefie, Dec 17, 2015
Ask a Question