Any use for locked hp elitebook 840 G9

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by martingale, Apr 23, 2024.

1. martingale

martingale

I got a hp elitebook 840 g9, but bios password is unknown to me. It was previously used as a business laptop, condition is mint.
    Whats the best use out of this laptop?

martingale, Apr 23, 2024
  2. martingale

Firewatcher

Hi, There is quite a bit on ways to tackle this problem on utube, but it depends on your technical ability in most cases.
    If you only want to use the Laptop, and don't need to go into the BIOS, from what I can see it should still be perfectly useable.
    You could try the Function keys if you are looking for a Boot Menu - probably need to disable fast boot first. It should also boot from a bootable USB, if it can't find anything else ie remove the hard disk (or put a blank one in if you want to do a fresh install) Still sounds like a useful Laptop unless is there something else that you actually need to access BIOS for.
    Pete

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Firewatcher, Apr 24, 2024
  3. martingale

martingale

The login is some company's user login, so I have to format and reinstall the windows to get ride of this ?

martingale, Apr 24, 2024
  4. martingale

Firewatcher

Hi,
    I think if you have limited technical experience it is probably your safest option. Installing Windows 10 is really a doddle, and you can then start with a clean sheet. I assume you don't have any way of getting to the IT manager of the Company to obtain the password. The password is held on one of the chips soldered to the motherboard and it can be risky even if you have some experience. I would say it's not worth risking.
    In day to day use, you won't need to access the BIOS so the password shouldn't really be a problem.

Firewatcher, Apr 25, 2024
Ask a Question