AAOne (ZG5) PlayBack...

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by tavvegas, Jan 26, 2011.

1. tavvegas

tavvegas

Hi All..

Couldnt find the help section, so apologies.

Spec:

Intel(R) Atom(TOM) CPU N270 @1.60ghz
    RAM: 1GB
    32-Bit

I'm having a real problem playing back 720 and 1080 videos, the video seems to lag, and then try t catch up with itself.

I have googled like crazy and read alot, but I am still lost, I would really really appreciate any help with getting the videos to play back without the lag. Thanks in advance.

tavvegas, Jan 26, 2011
  2. tavvegas

donec

You don't say which Operating (OS) you are using so about the only thing you can do is increase your RAM to 1.5Gb.

donec, Jan 26, 2011
  3. tavvegas

tavvegas

Sorry, Windows 7 Ultimate.

So what can I do?

I cant see it being the RAM, the CPU Usage seems fine, even when its struggling to play it.

tavvegas, Jan 27, 2011
  4. tavvegas

donec

I am surprised you are able to run Win 7 Ultimate on that machine. Win 7 takes a good amount of resources including memory. All the AAO I have heard of use shared memory for video. Win 7 Ultimate minimum requirement for a 32 bit machine is 1Gb and it will use a lot of that to run it's basic functions. Video requires a lot of memory also. 1G memory is just enough memory to run videos on a less hungry memory system like XP or Win 7 Home Premium. I don't believe upgrading your memory to the max of 1.5Gb would be enough to make a lot of difference. IMO you are just asking too much from the hardware built into the AAO.

donec, Jan 28, 2011
  5. tavvegas

Swarvey Moderator

I agree with the above, it's simply too much to ask of such a small machine. They weren't built for it. Having said that though, you could try updating your system's CoDec's and try a less resource-hungry media player like Media Player Classic.

Try the link in my signature to download the K-Lite Mega CoDec Pack, it comes with virtually all CoDec's you'll ever need as well as Media Player Classic.

Swarvey, Jan 28, 2011
  6. tavvegas

El Matarife

I'm running Windows 7 too (not Ultimate unfortunately!) and I have no probs with the playback of 720 movies. Although I think my non-stock SSD and extra RAM helps with that.

I imagine ugrading to 1.5 gig of RAM would help a bit. More memory helps with everything and its cheap so its worth doing anyway!

I also keep all my videos (all my non application files actually) on a class-6 16 gig SD card, i don't keep them on the main drive.

It could be clutching at straws but you might want to try running your videos from a nice fast SD card too, the read speed might be better than for your HDD.

Ultimately though the AOA's little embedded graphics chip has limited abilities. It can't really handle 1080 period. Although did you know it is underclocked by default to save battery power? So reclocking the graphics chip up to its full 400MHz using GMABooster might help a bit too.

Lastly, if you're feeling really adventurous, you know that hatch on the bottom of the netbook that has nothing in it? That's where the embedded modem would be on the subsidised models sold by mobile operators. Soldering a PCI-E adapter in there will let you pop in a Broadcom Crystal HD PCI-E card - designed especially for HD movie playback in netbooks and laptops. I believe it does work with the AOA - which would sort your problems out perfectly!

I'm thinking about trying it myself actually...

El Matarife, Feb 2, 2011
  7. tavvegas

donec

Please read the post in this thread as the best advice available for "getting the videos to play back without the lag" on the AAO ZG5 is already posted.

donec, Mar 10, 2011
Ask a Question