AAOne powers down after 45 seconds.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by philly_bob, Oct 31, 2009.

1. philly_bob

philly_bob

My refurbished AAOne worked fine for a while, then I didn't use it for a couple weeks, and now:

When I start it up, it follows normal startup routine for about 45 seconds, then the screen darkens and the on/off button light goes off.

When I start it in Safe Mode, it loads files until "Mup.sys," then darkens & turns off.

Even when I start it in Setup mode by hitting F2 at startup screen, it still darkens & turns off after 45 seconds or so.

Help appreciated. Either fix it myself or reliable repair shop.

It's out of warranty.

Thanks,

philly_bob

philly_bob, Oct 31, 2009
  2. philly_bob

philly_bob

A little additional information, as I dig in.

I tried a flash bios update (as described at http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/ans ... /166/sno/0). The flash bios procedure seemed to start normally, with the power on light blinking. But then it stopped in the middle of the procedure and it never rebooted.

The system, incidentally, is an AO150 ZGA.

Bob=

philly_bob, Oct 31, 2009
  3. philly_bob

philly_bob

philly_bob, Oct 31, 2009
  4. philly_bob

rik_tripp

Today, my one year old, owned from new. AA1 110 started shutting down the same as yours for the first time after taking it out for a trip.

After a lot of messing about, I realised that the fan was not spinning so I gave the side of the netbook a good thump with the side of my hand. On power-up the fan started working again. A while back the fan had become noisy, at that time a thump would make it run silent again so I thought I would try the same tactic

Since kick starting the fan, my netbook has been running for about 2 hours without a shutdown. :D

Hope this helps

RiK

rik_tripp, Nov 2, 2009
  5. philly_bob

philly_bob

Rik,

Your bump-the-side trick seems to have worked! I listened closely and hard a soft whirring sound after the tap. I figure the fan blades got stuck. After the tap,the system runs without stopping. I have not had to tap it since.

My attempts to fix it previously apparently caused some damage, so I had to do the system restore to reinstall the operating system. http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/ans ... /166/sno/0 This returned the system to factory default and erased all my programs and customization.

But I'm not complaining!

Again, thanks for the tip, Rik.

philly_bob, Nov 9, 2009
Ask a Question