ZTE MF632 on AAO

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FernandoBatista, Sep 21, 2008.

1. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista

Just bought one of these from TMN portuguese operator, and would like to share the installation process of the modem. I should say first that alltough I used linux for sometime I'm very far from an expert.

Install Gnome-ppp.
    Eject the USB drive/modem, at least I couldn't make it work with the usb drive mounted.
    Start Gnome-ppp, go to setup and press "detect", the modem should appear right away.
    In my case I had to change the DNS settings to openDNS settings, don't know if it's operator related but it probably is.
    Close the setup window and insert you data on the main window, it should work when press connect, at least it did for me.

Don't know if this is of any help, but I searched the net for a long time on how to use this modem on the acer or linux and found nothing useful, in fact most info told to replace this modem with the Huawei modem.

FernandoBatista, Sep 21, 2008
  2. FernandoBatista

Japser

So, this seems to be another way of dealing with the 3G dongles on the Linpus-One: gnome-ppp
    From Debian's description:

Japser, Sep 21, 2008
  3. FernandoBatista

westonpf

Are you getting 3G speeds, I have had mixed results using gppp. I have been able to connect to my 3G modem but not got the same sort of speeds I get when I connect through the software supplied by my provider through windows or Mac OS.

Not sure if there are other settings required to get full 3G speeds.

westonpf, Sep 22, 2008
  4. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista

Actually I can't answer that for sure, I'm using a prepaid service from TMN witch is limited to 512Kbps. I only bought it to make sure I could make it work before signing any contract.

Still I ran a speed test last night and was able to get >1300Kpbs download and >300Kbps upload, maybe the speed limitation is on TMN's own software, I don't know, the fact is that this is much faster than it was supposed to be.
    I did this test inside my house witch is a very week spot for GSM communications so later I'll try it outside just to see if I can get more.

FernandoBatista, Sep 22, 2008
  5. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista

Just redid the test outside with good signal, I'm getting 2689Kbps Down and 404 Up. Better than I expected actually.

FernandoBatista, Sep 22, 2008
  6. FernandoBatista

mpmf

Is there anything else I'm required to do? I've followed your steps and gnome-ppp isn't able to detect the modem... Is there any kernel module I have to install??

Edit: Solved. I forgot to remove the "Require PIN" setting from the SIM card.

mpmf, Sep 25, 2008
  7. FernandoBatista

jhedrotten

how about ZTE MF622? how can i get it to work to my aa1?

jhedrotten, Sep 28, 2008
  8. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista

Have you tried using the gnomePPP as I described? probably it works as easily. If you did where is it failing?

FernandoBatista, Oct 2, 2008
  9. FernandoBatista

wher2guv

Hi this works for the ZTE 622 or at least it gives me an IP and says I'm connected, but how do I get the ppp0 interface into the network manger so firefox can use the connection please help.

Oh yeah and I'm a complete newb on linux/linpus

Thanks
    Mark

wher2guv, Oct 16, 2008
  10. FernandoBatista

Unanimitas

Hello!!!
    I've a problem with ZTE MF 632 usb-modem!
    the software was installed correctly and works without usb modem if I try to connect to the internet - error "USB Modem is unavialable!", but I can send sms. On device manager there is no modem devices actually.
    unfortunately, I don't understand anything in Linux systems, this was a reason to use XP.
    If anyone can help me, please, answer, I'll be waiting :roll:

Best wishes from Bulgaria!!!

Unanimitas, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question