ZTE MF622 usb modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jhedrotten, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

anyone figured out how this works on aa1? this is a 3g/hsdpa modem.

jhedrotten, Sep 28, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

GW19

ZTE MF622 on 3 UK

Hello

I am trying to set up a USB ZTE MF622 modem on my Dad's One A110 (running Linpus Linux) and are having a few problems.
    When the modem is plugged in it detects it as a mass storage device.
    I have been browsing through the forums and have tried several things but am still having problems.
    I have managed to install the vodafone software ok, but it doesn't detect the modem.
    I have tried running the usbmode switch articles, but when i try and run it from file manager nothing happens, and when i try and run the command it say that "gcc is not a valid command".
    I also noticed the other article regarding setting it up manually by downloading wvdail and gnome but am unable to download gnome as it keeps timing out when trying to download.

I have had some experience with linux, but a lot of what i have read on some forums goes straight over my head.

If anyone has any suggestions, i would be most grateful.

Many thanks
    Graham

GW19, Sep 28, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

GW19

Please help

I am still struggling with this and cannot get it to work.

I have tried usb_modeswitch but cannot find the modem.
    I have seen people mention "lsusb" and when i run it i get

Bus 002 Device 002:ID 19d2:2000 ONDA MT503HS 3G modem

I am guessing it is recognizing the modem somehow but cannot get it to connect using wvdial or vodafone connect software.

Many thanks for any help
    Graham

GW19, Oct 11, 2008
  4. jhedrotten

GW19

GW19, Oct 11, 2008
  5. jhedrotten

Japser

Here the dongle is still in it's cdrom stage.
    In it's modem stage it's ID is 19d2:0001.
    The information you get is confusing. The numbers are allways right, they come out of the device itself, but then this number is looked up in the file on your system
    and that says 'modem', which is wrong.
    The 'mother' of that file is here: http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids which is not very helpfull either. Read: old.

Anyway, I got a ZTE MF628 out of it's cdrom stage by simply 'ejecting' it. After that lsusb would give it's other number.

Then, http://blog.ufsoft.org/2007/11/30/zte-mf622-usb-modem-under-linux gives some good information, 'writing udev rules' is the way these things -should- be handled. But they do a 'rmmod usb-storage' which is not very elegant, say you have an external usb harddrive, what happens to that ?

The next link, http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4124 tells you to download wvdial. AFAIK it is already on a standard-Linpus installation. I don't know about gnome-ppp, but a sudo wvdialconf should do the trick, again, afaik ...

And yes, in the end you might need to help the DNS a bit.

This is not to criticise, but to help clarify the fog, which is pretty thick.

--Japser.

Japser, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question