ZG5 W\Ubuntu NBR using Cellphone Modem (UK)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DampCat, Jun 1, 2009.

1. DampCat

DampCat

Hey all;

I just had a thought while sitting here; i've been a loyal customer to Orange for like a gajillion years, and they offer me quite a nice internet bolt-on to my contract. unlimited data transfer for £5/month (fair usage probably). This is cheaper than all the Contract 3G dongles, and probably more so than the PAYG dongles too.

My phone is the SE W910i, with 3G and GPRS.

Now, i appreciate that the speeds won't be as good as the 3G dongles, but I have wifi and 50mb cable connection at home, and i'd only really use it for emails and forums whilst out and about, maybe some googling.

My question is, what software would i need to use my W910i as a 3G modem on my Ubuntu Netbook Remix ZG5? Is it even possbile? I'm loathe to have any form of microsoft software on my precious One so i'm concerned that software availability wont be as great for the Ubuntu OS.

Many thanks

DampCat, Jun 1, 2009
  2. DampCat

DampCat

Mobile Partner, right? and it's relatively plug and play with UNR. Sorry, i should have searched better :(

DampCat, Jun 1, 2009
  3. DampCat

DampCat

So... i plugged my phone in, selected Orange Pay Monthly from the drop down networks menu, and away i went.

I'm actually falling more and more in love with UNR for every day that passes. i cant believe it's taken me this long to start using it.

Only one problem is, i need to find a way to disable the netbook from charging my phone when it's plugged in. Anyone have any ideas? It eats the battery like noones business, not fun on teh standard 3 cell.

DampCat, Jun 2, 2009
Ask a Question