ZG5 turns off after a few minutes

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by abasi, Jun 9, 2012.

1. abasi

abasi

Hi,

My girlfriend's computer is misbehaving. She has an Acer Aspire One ZG5. It will turn off after a few minutes of use. This occurs even when the AC power is connected; in safe mode; or left in the bios settings screen.

I tried to run a memtest on the computer, but it died during the test, and then wouldn't turn on at all. I flashed the bios, which fixed that issue, but the shut downs persisted. I came across a thread which suggested putting it in the freezer for a while to reset the thermal sensor, so I tried that, but it didn't work either.

I tried taking it apart to clean out any dust, but it was quite clean, and the problem remains.

The problem seems to have started after a long (20 hour) bus ride where the computer was in the luggage compartment, and may have been mishandled, but I am not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bas.

abasi, Jun 9, 2012
  2. abasi

abasi

bump.........

abasi, Jun 14, 2012
  3. abasi

Swarvey Moderator

Try booting the computer into the BIOS settings page (tap the F2 button) and leave it there for a while, see if it shuts down.

If it continues running, proceed to a memtest. If it fails the test, remove the memory module, clean the gold contacts with a standard, white pencil eraser, reinstall the module and repeat the memtest. If it fails again, replace the bad module.

When you get the laptop to pass the memory test, I would suggest scheduling a complete thorough hard drive scan under Windows (it will want to reboot to run the full scan). You can schedule this check by holding the Windows key and tapping the letter R to bring up the run box, clear the contents of the box and type the following CHKDSK /F /X /R and press enter. A black box should pop up asking to schedule the check for the next reboot, type Y to accept and press enter, now reboot your laptop.

Swarvey, Jun 15, 2012
  4. abasi

rabindranauth

sounds like that RAM. if their is more than one RAM card try just leaving in one and see if the shutdown continues. If it does try again with the other RAM card. its unlikely that both are bad but it would be good if you could get your hands on a spare RAM card to try just in case

rabindranauth, Jun 15, 2012
Ask a Question