ZG5 Ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Mirkin, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Mirkin

Mirkin

Hi
    I have a ZG5 which I bought with 1gb of RAM installed and I want to upgrade it to the max. I've had the thing to pieces in the past and recall seeing a RAM module already installed. I am I right in thinking that there is only one expansion slot and that this already has a 500MB module installed taking the overall system RAM to 1Gb. Or, are there two slots like my dell, with one of them waiting to take more RAM. I can't exactly remember how it looks in there and don't won't to disassemble it again until I have to. I also watched the guide on this website and could only make out one slot on there.
    If I need to take this RAM out what type should I buy to replace it and what is the maximum amount I can slip in.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Mirkin, Jan 12, 2011
  2. Mirkin

Swarvey Moderator

Please use the search function.

* Yes there's only one RAM slot
    * Maximum you can have is 1.5Gb by removing the 512Mb chip already in there and replace it with a 1Gb chip

Swarvey, Jan 12, 2011
  3. Mirkin

donec

You are correct and all you need to do is take it apart again remove the removable memory take it to a store like Fry's electronics and they will sell you the 1Gig memory you need to replace it then install it and close up your AAO.

donec, Jan 13, 2011
  4. Mirkin

Darryl

to correct the above, the ZG5 has 512 on board and a slot that will take a max of 1 Gb this takes it slightly over the 1.5gb it is capable of using....so you don't need to remove anything!
    http://qik.com/video/161904
    see 24:50 on the above vid

Darryl, Jan 17, 2011
  5. Mirkin

donec

Some of the ZG5 came with 1Gig, as OP described in first post that was 512 built in memory and a 512 memory stick in the slot and so would need to be removed.

donec, Jan 17, 2011
  6. Mirkin

bigbrian

Hi,

I'm in the same boat !!!

Have a 512Gig memory module and want to upgrade to 1Gig - 1.5Gig (What is the Maximum the Mother board can take ???????)

Looking at the motherboard, where is the memory located ???

Thanks all

Brian

bigbrian, Jan 19, 2011
  7. Mirkin

donec

Hi Brian,

Here is a good video that shows how to get into your AAO ZG5. The ZG5 comes with either 512M or 1Gig RAM as far as I know those are the only 2 options it is sold with new. Both versions have the ability to be upgraded to 1.5Gig RAM. The 512M version have 512M soldered to the motherboard and an empty memory card slot which can hold up to 1Gig memory card. The 1Gig version has 512M soldered to the motherboard and 512M memory card in the memory card slot. This memory card can be removed and replaced with a 1Gig card. Creating 1.5Gig of RAM.

donec, Jan 20, 2011
Ask a Question