Zg5 ram upgrade necessities

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by sally, Feb 25, 2010.

1. sally

sally

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my acer aspire one zg5 from 1GB to the max. I need to know the following:

1) Where do I find out what is the max ram I can put in this?
    2) What is the model number of the ram so I can purchase ram?
    3) Does anyone know where to get the service manual for this model so I can install the ram?

Thanks

sally, Feb 25, 2010
  2. sally

Swarvey Moderator

G'day and welcome to the forums. Please ensure you read the forum rules and always remember to do a quick search before posting.

You can find out by browsing a few posts here on the forums, otherwise I believe the maximum these li'l AAO's can handle is 2gig, some are limited to 1.5gig RAM
    We are trying to develop a list of compatible memory modules, I'm not too sure where the thread is for that, but it's around somewhere, hopefully it's been updated by users.
    I don't really know if there is one available to the general public, but upgrading the RAM is usually a matter of opening a service hatch on the bottom of the netbook, and swapping out the RAM module.

I'm sure there'll be more people adding to this, so if I haven't helped thus far, help is almost certainly on it's way.

Swarvey, Feb 25, 2010
  3. sally

sally

sally, Feb 25, 2010
  4. sally

Swarvey Moderator

There's a great many different models of the Acer Aspire One, as you probably know. It seems each model is constructed as different as the last two. As such a generic "Acer Aspire RAM Upgrade" vid may be of very little use. I know for certain on my D250 it's as simple as opening a hatch and swapping a module, on my older A150 (i think it was an A150 anyway :p) i had to basically disassemble the entire thing to get to the RAM slot which was under the keyboard and palmrest. Anyway, as I said before, I'm sure someone else with a ZG5 model will pop up in here sooner or later and they'll be able to give you step-by-step info.

Personally I don't give a f**k bout warranty, i just love hacking things :D so if it was me, I'd start with popping the hatches off to see what's in there :)

Swarvey, Feb 25, 2010
  5. sally

sally

I completely agree with you :p
    but I wanted to buy the ram first before I crack it open cause I don't want to do it twice ;)
    so I'm still in search on the stats for the type of ram to put in and then the how to. I gonna ask my friends too.
    thanks for the help!

sally, Mar 2, 2010
  6. sally

Swarvey Moderator

i've started restructuring the Compatible RAM list thread, and I'm pretty sure there's some info in there now regarding what RAM works with your model.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4742 This is the Compatible RAM thread. Should be of some information. The list in the first post has been assembled based on what information was given by people and their signatures, so it could be a little off, but hopefully people will start posting in there again so we can expand the list

Swarvey, Mar 2, 2010
  7. sally

sally

Thanks for the link, Swarvey.
    The next question are...
    1)Does it have 1 or 2 slots?
    2)What's the max ram for the Zg5 model?

Mahalo,
    Sally

sally, Mar 2, 2010
  8. sally

Swarvey Moderator

I haven't touched anything but a D250 model for a while, but as an educated guess, I'd say it'll only have one slot like the rest of them. As for the maximum RAM, I couldn't tell you, have a poke around the forums and you should find what you're after.

Swarvey, Mar 2, 2010
Ask a Question