ZG5 locks up in windows, runs in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Guest, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello all, i picked up a used Zg5 AOA 110 with win XP sp3 on it. Since Ive had it it locks up in windows after a few minutes of usage, and upon reboot I always get a checkdisk that runs and finds errors and fixxes them. Now the original owner swears this thing ran fine for him and he does have 100% feedback through ebay. Ive read how the 8gb ssd in this often hangs up etc, but this locks up all the time after a few minutes or so.
    However when Im in safe mode with networking, it appears to work fine.I would like to do a factory restore to this, however there is no recovery im able to access. Ive tried the alt f10 at startup as acer says to do. From what I gather it needs to be restored via the restore discs it came with and using an external optical drive.
    Well...I dont have an external optical drive and was hoping to not have to buy one especially if this possibly is defective.

Are there any better drivers for this other than what comes installed.
    Is there a way I can create a image and boot from USB drive to try to restore this?
    Also in the bios there is an option for the D2D recovery, and by default it is turned on. I thought if it had the D2d option in the bios that it did indeed have a recovery partition.

Other issue is the 8gbSSD is 3/4 leaving only less than 2gb free. This is a clean windows install from the original owner and not loaded up with files etc.
    Does windows XP SP3 use up 6.5gbs of storage?? Seems a bit high to me.

Anyways,
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest, Jul 3, 2010
  2. Guest

Swarvey Moderator

No, Windows XP does not take up that much storage, I've run several tests in Virtual Machines and I feel safe in saying that no way that is not a clean install of Windows, sounds more like a complete system restore. Check the link in my signature RE SSD Space Usage to see the figures I came up with durring testing.

Also, in the future please make sure you post in the appropriate section of the forum, I've read and re-read your post and can't see how this relates to a how-to article. I'll move this topic to a more appropriate area.

Swarvey, Sep 20, 2010
Ask a Question